Will acetone or epoxy drips damage Silestone or Cambria?

kitchendetectiveJune 29, 2013

Has anyone used Silestone or a surface like it in a hobby area where solvents and glues may drip on the counter? Will these damage the surface? Would it be permanent or reparable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachlily z9a

I know that acetone won't damage it. When my Cambria was installed, it was cleaned with acetone. Don't know about the other stuff. Sorry.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:20AM
oldryder

Acetone won't damage quartz although the OEM's (including Cambria) specifically recommend against it.

Epoxies, on the other hand, will bond to the quartz materials. Seams in quartz countertops are set with epoxy. You might find it relatively easy to scrape a dried blob of epoxy off the polished surface but maybe not and a razor blade will scratch a quartz top.

A polished granite is considerably more durable than a quartz top and, in the event you do get dried epoxy on it you can scrape the epoxy off with a razor blade without damaging the top.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:08AM
GreenDesigns

A brief exposure to acetone won't damage quartz. Prolonged exposure will soften the resin material and cause it to partially dissolve and look "etched" and cloudy. Epoxy will be difficult to remove, as it will bond with the resin then you'd need an expert to remove it and not damage it further.

Overall, the best surface for a hobby area is a cheap sacrificial piece of plywood that you poly, i.e. a traditional worktop that you would see in any production shop. Use some wood edging attached to the top to be able to lay it over whatever "pretty" top you want to put underneath it. It's endlessly renewable at a very cheap cost when it inevitably becomes damaged.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:26AM
kitchendetective

Thank you. As always, I so appreciate the imformation I glean here.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
Best type of rug to protect hardwood floors in kitchen?
I found an older thread which discusses choices of...
juliedrew
White Macaubus and Sea Pearl quartzite
We are considering White Macaubus for our kitchen in...
poppy3212
Has anyone heard of/used Hominter?
Our new house build is proceeding and while we haven't...
beckysharp
hardware length vs. drawer width..
All, We've figured out which pulls we want for our...
yoda888
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™