Do we need to install an air cap for the dishwasher?

melkel31June 6, 2014

Just dawned on us that we may need an air cap for the dishwasher. From what I am reading we MAY not need to have one of these eye soars! ;) Anyone know if we can get away with not using one of these? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Contact your local permitting agency and ask 'em. Sometimes, even if it's required, a waiver can be had for certain models of dishwasher that are built to not need one.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 9:43PM
gabbythecat

Our plumber told us they are required by code in our area, but he doesn't consider them necessary. He suggested that we yank it out (since we've passed inspection) and replace it with something like a soap dispenser. We haven't bothered - it's there, and I've pretty much forgotten about it.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:02PM
sushipup1

PS, it's an "air gap".

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 11:06PM
sahmmy_gw

I am linking a recent thread on this topic. Where to you live? There are only a very few places left in the U.S. that require air gaps, mostly California. That's because new DWs today come with the "high loop hose" which is as effective as an air gap (some say the high loop is more effective and better than an air gap, some say the air gap is better, but either way, the high loop is the accepted or preferred by Building Code in most locations in this country.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens Forum Thread about Air Gaps

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:20AM
melkel31

thanks everyone and oops! air gap ;) spoke to my dad as well who is our contractor ;) he said we won't need one either so problem solved! Just didn't want it with our pretty apron copper sink. kind of an eye soar on such a pretty sink.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Week 40: Sacrificed? Unobtainable dreams? Which direction?
A lot of questions this morning! Other than your entire...
CEFreeman_GW
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™