Cost of moving an inside wall?

Linda5050June 27, 2013

My husband & I are aging in a 2 story house. We have found a very cool pneumatic vacuum elevator (like Star Trek!) with a mere 39" footprint. Unfortunately, we don't have the space on the ground level and will need to move the guest room (stud) wall about a foot. That means framing, drywall, orange peel, & some tile work. The wall w/ door is 12' w and 8'7" h. Just need a rough estimate for Florida so we can figure out how to finance this deal.

Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It depends on if the wall is load bearing or not, and how much electrical, plumbing, and HVAC might be in it. Also, your foundation type and how you plan to handle the repair work on the floor and ceiling. 7-15K, would be about average here, and unless you are in a higher labor market than me (Miami, etc.) you should be in the same ballpark. You will be required to have structural drawings for your local building office for permitting sake, and you will need a permit for both the wall removal and the elevator installation. IF that elevator would be allowed as code compliant. In many jurisdictions it's not as the safety mechanism to keep it from crashing during a power outage aren't considered sufficient.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
Kitchen finished! White cabs, quartzite, leathered black. Whew!
We moved into our new build about three weeks ago....
babs711
Corian Countertop -Show your pics!
Hi, I'm considering installing a corian countertop...
MercerM
37" or 30" cooktop?
I was planning on a 30" induction cooktop which...
12crumbles
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™