Cost of moving an inside wall?

linda5050June 27, 2013

My husband & I are aging in a 2 story house. We have found a very cool pneumatic vacuum elevator (like Star Trek!) with a mere 39" footprint. Unfortunately, we don't have the space on the ground level and will need to move the guest room (stud) wall about a foot. That means framing, drywall, orange peel, & some tile work. The wall w/ door is 12' w and 8'7" h. Just need a rough estimate for Florida so we can figure out how to finance this deal.

Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It depends on if the wall is load bearing or not, and how much electrical, plumbing, and HVAC might be in it. Also, your foundation type and how you plan to handle the repair work on the floor and ceiling. 7-15K, would be about average here, and unless you are in a higher labor market than me (Miami, etc.) you should be in the same ballpark. You will be required to have structural drawings for your local building office for permitting sake, and you will need a permit for both the wall removal and the elevator installation. IF that elevator would be allowed as code compliant. In many jurisdictions it's not as the safety mechanism to keep it from crashing during a power outage aren't considered sufficient.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Reviews for 'Steel' Ascot freestanding ovens
Hi, does anyone have the above Italian made range in...
suenuts
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
Ikea cover panel installation question (Akurum line)
Hi all! I was ready to post this to ikeafans.com and...
criv227
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™