Mixing Tile Patterns/Sizes

dgormishJune 7, 2014

My kitchen backsplash will be squares set on a diagonal, i.e. a diamond pattern. These are already bought and set to be installed later this week or next week.

I need to decide about the new floor. It will be luxury vinyl tiles. My husband likes the look of a rectangular tile (12X24) instead of the square (16X16) but I don't know how this will look. Will it look okay to have different tiles sizes between the backsplash and the floor? Also, will it look okay to have different patterns such as diamond on the backsplash and basketweave on the floor?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EAM44

It could be fine, but it's really a matter of whether the tiles look good together. Why not post an image? To learn how read the stickie at the top of the forum.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 2:39AM
nosoccermom

Hm, I actually think all diamonds may be overkill. Trying to find some pictures of either option.

Reverse. Floor diamond pattern

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 9:02AM
dgormish

nosoccermom, thanks the the visuals!

The backsplash tiles are smaller like the first photo you posted. And it is nice to see the rectangles on the floor in that photo. I think I am liking the contrast now that I am seeing it. I like clean lines and tend to lean toward safe and simple but so I was worried about two different patterns. Sometimes it is hard to visualize the big picture things.

I agree that large diamonds on the backsplash and floor may not be the best look.

I can't post photos because the blacksplash (or floor) isn't installed yet. Maybe later this week!

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Granite countertop color question
My wife and I just bought some granite countertops. In...
dsm1995gst
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™