smallest depth for bar?

aleighjcJune 5, 2010

We have a counter that hangs over the edge to allow for some stools. I'm wondering what the smallest number of inches is for the depth where the legs would go. My counter guy said 10 inches, does that sound right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
numbersjunkie

Depends on the height of the counter. I'm pretty sure NKBA says counter height is 15", bar height is 12".

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 8:16PM
shelly_k

As the previous poster mentioned, 15 inches is recommended for counter height bar.

However, we currently have 10 inches in a 42 inch height bar and it's tight feeling, but it would work for a minimum.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 9:50PM
live_wire_oak

At 10" you wont' be able to tuck bar stools under it. They'll stick out, so you might as well go larger because the bar stools will be occupying the space anyway.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 1:30AM
buehl

If you're trying to skimp on overhang b/c of aisle width...it won't work. People take up the same amount of space b/c you can squeeze your body in just so much! What you get when you skimp on seating overhang is uncomfortable guests...they have to sit farther away from the counter OR they have to "straddle" the cabinet OR they have to sit sideways...none of which are comfortable.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 4:13AM
buehl

Well...I WAS going to link the NKBA Planning Guidelines, but apparently they no longer allow us to see them! You have to pay to join...not going to happen here! Plus it appears not just anyone can join...

Bottom line...the NKBA recommends a minimum overhang of... Table-height seating (30" high): 18"
Counter-height seating (36" high): 15"
Bar-height seating (42" high): 12"

Note this is a "minimum", not a "maximum". Your "counter guy" doesn't seem to know this. What about your KD? S/he should know this...

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 4:22AM
svwillow1

Having sat at many a bar, and a few counters, I can't see where the distance makes much of a difference. The choice of a stool or chair and the size of them could be a factor. Generally speaking, the average person needs about 11 to 12 inches of clearance as a minimum if sitting on a stool or small chair. 10 to 11 inches is also the maximum you can go to cantilever 3cm granite with out support. We have an average 10.75 inches unsupported clearance using stools, and have no problems with peoples knees hitting.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 9:41AM
gsciencechick

I just measured ours end to end, and it is 13 inches. It works fine for us. Since the bartop is on an entryway to the kitchen, we were worried that if it were longer, we'd keep bumping into it.

We use this area a lot, so it was great decision to put it in. This pic is just after it was installed.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
What size are trash pullouts?
I have had three different KDs suggest three diff size...
kelleg69
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
Can you look at my kitchen layout and tell me what I'm missing?
Sorry I posted this once previously, but I wanted to...
happyallison
the cabinets are coming, the cabinets are coming...
some may recall the debacle with our cabinets. delivery...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Mod Squares Stool
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Antique Bronze One-Light Wall Sconce with Etched Glass
$43.47 | Bellacor
WAC White LED 30" Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
Polished Chrome 14 Inch Towel Bar
TheBathOutlet
Bocci | 28.3 Random Pendant Chandelier
YLighting