Dura Ceramic

LAdancerJune 12, 2014

Does anyone have experience with Dura Ceramic flooring by Congoleum? My husband thinks it is much more practical and durable than Marmoleum. It is a harder surface but what I'm wondering is if it is just as hard on the feet and legs as tile if it is called "ceramic?" If you have experienced this, would you let me know? I know Marmoleum has a soft feel. Does the Dura Ceramic tiles have any give at all? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annkh_nd

If you search on the flooring forum, you'll see lots of negative reviews about Duraceramic - but we put it in anyway, 10 months ago. It's actually made of limestone, not ceramic. Installation is a lot easier than tile - we put ours over sheet vinyl. It just needs to be level.

I like it a lot - it definitely has more "give" than a tile floor, and it reflects heat well, so feels warm underfoot (we're a shoes-off family). So far it has held up well, and I like the look.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:11AM
may_flowers

I don't have any experience standing for long periods on vinyl tile floor, but we used Armstrong Alterna in a guest bath. It too has a limestone base with a vinyl wear layer. I have porcelain tile in my kitchen, which doesn't bother my legs or back. I don't think you'll see much difference in hardness between LVT and ceramic tile. Maybe because annkh's is installed over vinyl she feels some give. They removed the sheet vinyl when they installed ours.

Your comfort should come before your husband's practicality. If you are the one who spends most of the time in the kitchen, you should get what you want. Some husbands don't think of a kitchen as a work zone so they don't understand why we need the proper tools to do our job.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:36AM
tinker1121

I looked at all the vinyl tiles and the Mannington Adura line gets the best reviews and there are some nice patterns, Armstrong gets good reviews also and the Duracermic not so good. Read there is a chipping problem with it.

We ended up getting Shaw Array vinyl tiles. They are 100% vinyl and not the limestone base as the other other and chose a pattern that wasn't as busy as most. Installed and grouted just this week and I like it a lot. Feels velvety soft when in bare feet.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 9:12PM
jill314

We have it in a bathroom and I love it. It doesn't feel cold like tile and it has a touch more give.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
What do you think of the deeper Ikea wall cabinets?
To me, it would seem that 15" deep is excessive....
Chinchette
Unsealed leathered Virginia Mist?
My Virginia Mist/Jet Mist counters are installed and...
juliedrew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™