Cabinet Maker Reviews Please

LisalovesrenoJune 19, 2013

I just bought a house and plan on putting in a whole new kitchen. I would love to have a custom cabinet maker do the work but I'm thinking it would totally blow my budget. I am looking to put in a simple white shaker cabinet with modern pulls, possibly just going custom built on the island that the stove will be in. The reviews I have found on-line aren't helpful at all. Can anyone comment on any of the major cabinet companies with reference to how well built they are, how durable the painted finish is, how easy it is to customize and how long you've had the cabinets you are commenting on? Price is also a consideration, of course, but I really just want a cabinet that will last for years to come. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joaniepoanie

I have natural maple cabinets made by Dynasty. They are beautifully made... plywood boxes, drawers roll easily, beautiful finish. I imagine their painted cabs would have a beautiful, durable finish as well. They are semi-custom...their custom line is Omega and you can mix and match the two as needed. A truly quality product made in the US. Wait for a sale and their price is comparable to lower end brands. I would buy them again without hesitation. Visit kitchen design centers as well as big box stores to get an idea of quality and prices.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 10:55PM
joaniepoanie

Also forgot to mention that many people here have stated that using a custom cabinet maker can be about the same as ordering from a cabinet line. You just have to get estimates and educate yourself. There was a recent thread on here where people rated cabinet brands low to high end. I will try to find it.

You can also post the area you live in and ask for recommendations for cabinet makers/kitchen designers/showrooms, etc...you will probably end up with at least a few names to investigate.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 10:51AM
joaniepoanie

Here is the thread..hope it helps....yes, it is a daunting task since there are so many choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Cabinet ratings thread

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 10:56AM
Lisalovesreno

Forgive me if I post incorrectly. Just signed up yesterday. Just wanted to thank Joanieponie for input. I haven't heard of Dynasty and will have to check it out. Anyone else have ideas, I am all ears.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 3:48PM
april_love

Hi Lisalovesreno,

You really have to do your homework. I ended up using a custom cabinet maker and his quote to replace the kitchen cabinets as they were was less than the big box store quotes. However, I ended up going with an abundance of custom features which took me quite a bit over the big box store quotes.

i found my cabinetmaker by asking the tile guy, the painter, etc. (non-direct competition) for referrals.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 4:08PM
OldTimeCarpenter1

There is almost no difference in price these days between locally built custom cabinets and mid-range manufactured cabinets. Plus, you get better fitted cabinets from the local guy.

When comparing prices, remember factory cabinets have to be installed -- and that's not usually included in the price. With local cabinets, it usually is.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
Largest flushmount sink for 36" cabinest
Can anyone point me to the largest flushmount sink...
akjr_gw
Large cove moulding?
I am looking for large cove moulding. I can't find...
brodyt
Largest sink I can get? 33" exterior cabinet, 31/32" interior. HELP!
1st time home buyer here and we're trying to replace...
Joyce de Leon
Why is a backsplash so hard to choose?
Got the counters in place today...love my Taj Mahal...
ssg7741
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™