How are runnels made?

killinsnakesJune 7, 2014

How are the runnels made in countertops? Are they rounded or squared and what is used to make them? I am getting new Corian countertops and thought I understood them to say the edges will be squared. Wanted to check with the GW experts since you guys have certainly influenced my choice after years of reading and studying this forum!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mags438

Mine are round but it's not corian

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 6:38PM
Trebruchet

I made a tapered jig to rout them into Corian when I was a fabricator years ago. Have your fabricator reinforce below them by adhering a 1/2" full size piece. Rounded would be easiest to clean.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 4:56AM
killinsnakes

I was thinking rounded would be easier to clean. My brother, a perfectionist home builder is coming back to check something, for about the 6th time, so I will mention this to him . I know he is questioning this also. He trusts and likes the fabricators work, but he has never done runnels in all of his house buildings. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 12:41PM
ChrisInSD

Just find a picture of the kind you like online and show it to the fabricator and specify that's what you want. I find that's the easiest way to communicate with these types of people during our reno.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 1:34PM
ChrisInSD

Also, I've wondered about these. We ultimately decided to pass on them although they are cool.

If you are always supposed to wipe off your Corian to prevent hard water/limescale buildup then does it make sense to have an area that is wet by design?

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 2:17PM
killinsnakes

I was thinking rounded would be easier to clean. My brother, a perfectionist home builder is coming back to check something, for about the 6th time, so I will mention this to him . I know he is questioning this also. He trusts and likes the fabricators work, but he has never done runnels in all of his house buildings. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:09PM
Trebruchet

"If you are always supposed to wipe off your Corian to prevent hard water/limescale buildup then does it make sense to have an area that is wet by design?"

ChrisinSD:

Solid surface is inert and unaffected permanently by hard water/limescale. You could wipe up several month's worth with a ScotchBrite pad in seconds.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 8:02AM
live_wire_oak

Hard water has a lot of other issues besides build up on your counters. Think about what it's doing to the insides of your pipes and fixtures! Talk with a water treatment professional if you have that issue.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Need help on storing root vegetables
Can anyone help me with ideas to store my root veges...
sl4321
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Foot pedals for trash pullout - is H a f e l e the only option?
Don't you love auto correct? H a f e l e is coming...
laughablemoments
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Sponsored Products
West Leather Sofa - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Hand-Made Moroccan Pattern Blue/ Ivory Wool Rug (9x12)
Overstock.com
Orbee-Tuff Glow for Good Ball for Dogs
$15.50 | FRONTGATE
Rust Alana Rug
$49.99 | zulily
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Sandusky Garage Cabinets Elite Series
Home Depot
DENY Designs Aimee St Hill Diamonds Outdoor Throw Pillow - 13960-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Indoor Area Rug: Sani Dark Brown/Tan 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Diamonds Boot Tray