Walnut Veneer? Plain or quarter sawn? Need serious help please

thedorkJune 19, 2013

I am going to die... I need to make a decision soon and I can't.

I have a sample cabinet door and one side is quarter-sawn walnut but looks very light, the other side is plain-sawn walnut looking darker. I like the darker better but I worry how busy the grain will be. I am going to pick my veneers from the lumberyard with the cabinet maker.

The quarter-sawn walnut grain is more subtle but very light compare to the plain sawn one. The color on the plain sawn one is richer and has a lot of depth.

Please share your thoughts - how did you make a decision when you picked your veneer?

The grain will go vertically on my cabinets. Would it be easier to match the grain with the quarter-sawn one? I guess yes.

Or should I try some custom stain ( very light ) that will keep the natural color of the quarter-sawn walnut to make it a little bit darker.

I guess my only concern is how wild dramatic the grain on the plain-sawn one can be. I don't need something super big and crazy as a grain but would love the darkness of the plain one.

My space is small 10x13 which I need to consider when I'll make my final decision.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

My walnut chairs were pretty light in color (and had a pinkish green cast)--but they darken rather quickly.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 5:53PM
thedork

Hmmm, I think the walnut goes lighter with time not darker - thanks Palimpsest!

This is my dilemma - if I go with the lighter quarter sawn - am I risking more fading than the darker plain sawn?

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 5:54PM
LoPay

Most wood mellows or darkens over time. I can't think of a time I have seen walnut get lighter.

I enjoy your questions. I'm considering walnut cabinets, and think about the look of the grain quite a bit too.

Isn't quarter sawn by default a tighter grain? So I would think it would have less of that wild look.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 10:45PM
leela4

We had a built in china cabinet in our dining room, which we removed when we remodeled (the wall housing it was removed). It had lightened a fair amount in the 30 years it was there, something I never noticed until we took it apart when we moved it. In addition, we have a walnut wall, mantle and hearth in the living room and that has also lightened.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:24PM
thedork

Thank you all for taking the time to share your experience!

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 3:20PM
Holly- Kay

I love walnut. If I live long enough to do another kitchen (not likely I will be 60 in Sept), it will be walnut. I just love the richness of it. My staircase is done in oak and walnut and I haven't noticed any lightening of the wood. It may be the sealant that is on it.

I really think that your heart is telling you to go with the plain sawn so go with what you love. Whatever you decide you will love it!

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Is this what a mitered granite edge should look like?
We paid our granite fabricators for a mitered granite...
snookers1999
Really want to improve my kitchen layout…
I was hoping to get some ideas as to how to layout...
lisakro
Backsplash 'Rules'/Design Principals for Cohesion
Hi all! Still no reveal and yes still searching for...
autumn.4
Colored Wine Glasses Truly Dishwasher Safe
We are looking for some nice wine glasses that are...
curmudgeon10
Shallow sinks?
I'm not sure if this is a thing, but I'm interested...
Lrw2a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™