Pendant above island with 8 foot ceilings?

secondhalfJune 21, 2012

Hi everyone- I'm becoming co-dependent on you people. Is that a symptom of TKO?

Is it a bad idea to put pendant lights above an island when we don't have high ceilings? They're only 8 feet in the kitchen (though the adjacent family room has cathedral ceilings) and I don't want to accentuate the fact that my ceilings are low. Opinions? Anyone willing to share pics?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raenjapan

Here are pendants over a peninsula with 8' ceilings.

I think they're fine. Don't do anything massive, and it will look great.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 4:48PM
ayerg73

I'm a visual person, so pictures help me decide.

Here are my pendants with 8' ceilings:

I agree with raenjapan, it looks good as long as they aren't massive.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 5:00PM
EngineerChic

Our island is in the middle of the kitchen and I look past it to see into the dining room (then thru a window onto the front porch). We have recessed lights so it doesn't block the view. I think it might depend on what you look at when you look past the island. Also, if you stand at the end of the island and look down the hall in our house your eyes go past the bathroom and into the guest room at the end of the hall. That is our longest sight line (for now) and I like that it isn't broken up by anything hanging from the ceiling.

So, it won't look BAD to have pendants, but you probably want to consider how they can alter e vista from the island.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 5:22PM
leela4

Our ceiling is even a little less than 8' at 93'':

I agree that it's all a matter of scale.
HTH

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 5:23PM
auroraborelis

I don't have a photo, but I have pendants with 8' ceilings and they look great.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 5:28PM
slonewby

I had my doubts also with 8' ceiling but we did it and I love them. I actually think they could have been bigger....

Our penninsula looks out into the diningroom/livingroom. I think the trick is to keep them at a proper height. They can't hang too low.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 5:35PM
Fori is not pleased

Pendants definitely fit an 8' ceiling.

They kinda make your ceilings look a little higher sometimes.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 5:54PM
jerzeegirl

Is it possible that pendants actually look better with 8 foot ceilings? It eliminates the need for superlong stems which are not always attractive to my eye.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 6:19PM
raenjapan

ayerg73, I love those pendants! Can you share where you got them?

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 7:14PM
ayerg73

Thanks, raenjapan - We ordered them from lighting direct. They are from Kichler - the Sayre collection. Ours is the middle size, but there are 3 sizes and two colors to choose from.

HTH!

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 7:19PM
secondhalf

Thanks so much everyone- great advice as always!
EngineerChic- leave it to the engineer to think beyond my one issue- the sightline is something I hadn't really considered but will.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:07PM
dragonfly08

I had similar concerns about my 8' tall ceiling plus I knew I wanted large pendants but was worried they'd look too short and stumpy. We're very happy with the end result. I did purposefully avoid solid shades, though... I felt glass gave a more "open" feel.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 12:40AM
annkathryn

leela4 your pendants are lovely - can you tell me where you got them?

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 12:43AM
nanjeanne

We have 8' ceilings as well and like you, were worried. But we shouldn't have been. We love our pendants over our peninsula. Looked for mini pendants and also wanted a wire rather than a heavier pole attachment. We were careful not to hang them too low and think they look great.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 7:43AM
aokat15

I did pendant lights over our island and our ceilings are 8 feet. I originally wanted larger pendants but opted for the smaller size so that they wouldn't look "squatty". Here is my kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 8:27AM
abfabamy

We have an 8' ceiling and I worried about that very thing, too. I wanted something wider for our squarish island, but not tall so we picked a shorter profile light. The end of the island is really used only for eating, so we staggered the height and lowered that one even more to add interest. I am so glad we decided to do pendants, it really adds so much to the finished feel.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:28AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Such pretty kitchens, everyone! Thanks for the eye candy!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:34AM
drbeanie2000

I second the request to know where leela4 got those pendants!

Also, nanjeanne?

How low are all yall's pendants/how long are your wires or hanging rods?

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:44AM
phiwwy

This is the pendant I'm thinking about for a 7 1/2' kitchen island. Island is about 8' long. I have no other light above the island so a strong light is critical. I too want a glass feel, but not clear. I can remove some links of the upper chain and the lower 3 chains to get the height just right. I have my eye on another Hudson Valley light for over the kitchen table - different style but same chain idea.

Do you think it will look ok? I have a custom metal hood and I don't want 3 pendants to detract from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson Valley Winfield pendant

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:54AM
nanjeanne

From the bottom of our pendant to the ceiling - it's 23" (I think about 36" from peninsula). We checked it against our contractor who was over 6' and it was above his eye level so it felt right. The pendant itself is 5 5/8" and we used a small canopy because we wanted everything except the light itself to sort of disappear as much as possible.

The pendants were from Wilmette Lighting (a div. of Tech) and they are halogen. The canopy had the transformer and we put the lights on a dimmer - since full strength was quite bright. We chose them because the glass is frosted and prismatic so it diffuses the light rather than pinpoints it. That also made it easier to hang from the 8' ceilings.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:58AM
claybabe

Agree: Lots of great eye candy on this thread. What a great way to wake up...

Aokat, I would like to know what your pendants are.

I did pendants in my first kitchen reno but on this one I did chandeliers because I wanted kind of a girly thing and lots of light over the island. They hang in the line of sight across the island, but easily worked around. I still like looking at them. I also figure that if I get tired of looking around them at people they will be simple to change out.

Judging from the pictures above, even if they are "in the way" of the view, those above are definitely a wonderful part of the view.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 10:44AM
badgergal

I also have pendants above an island and 8 ft. ceilings. Since we have our sink in the island we hung the pendant above the sink a little higher than the other two. They are spaced apart equally from the center light but the angle of the picture makes it look otherwise.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 10:51AM
aokat15

My pendants are Hudson Valley Pelham. They are 30" off the island top.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 11:10AM
claybabe

Thanks, Aokat!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 11:19AM
leela4

Our pendants are Bruck Rainbow ll in turquoise. We ordered them through a local lighting store. They are 33'' from the bottom of the shade to the island, and 27'' off the bar.
Lights are hard. We went through several iterations (don't ask) before finally deciding on these.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 11:20AM
aokat15

No problem!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 11:49AM
secondhalf

I am constantly awed by all the mistakes I would be making if it weren't for all the tips on this site.

Aokat-I looked at all your kitchen pics- what a beautiful job. I've been looking for a black amd white granite- yours is stunning. Do you mind telling me what it's called?

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 12:03PM
aokat15

Thanks so much, secondhalf! My tops are Donna Sandra Marble, but they are very similar to the Super White granite that I've seen in other kitchens on here so I think there may be other names/similar stones out there. Hope this helps - good luck!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 12:16PM
annkathryn

Thanks leela4!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 1:30PM
leela4

You're welcome, annkathryn.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 10:07PM
CEFreeman

slonewby, I love those gorgeous pendants. May I ask where...?

Folks, how high about the peninsula did you hang your pendants? That's the only reason I haven't installed mine yet. I can't decide how low.

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 12:00PM
bonesoda

What is the distance between the siland top to the bottom of the pendant for most of you guys... i have read up here 33 and 30" so far.

Also the distance between each pendant?

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 6:55PM
CEFreeman

jmith, I read that as above a table, not a countertop, which is much higher.

I can't find any recommendations online, but I like what people have come up with here.

Someone?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 9:25AM
badgergal

CEFreeman: I have 3 pendants over my irregular shaped island. The bottom of the pendant over the sink is 36 inches from the countertop. The bottoms of the other 2 are 30 inches above the countertop. My pendants are only 6 inches high. I raised the center pendant up 6 inches so it would be obvious that it was supposed to be higher and not an installation mistake. I thought the one above the sink should be higher to accommodate my DH who is 6ft. 3 in. tall. Didn't want him to feel like the pendant was in his face while standing at the sink. The 30 inch high pendant height seems fine to me. If you want them higher they will look fine too. I have a picture posted above so know you know what the heights are fot those pendants.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:44PM
CEFreeman

Thank you! That's the picture I was looking at, but without perspective, it doesn't tell me!

I can't wait to get mine up.

Christine

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 5:44PM
bonesoda

@CEFreeman: Sorry i meant from counter to bottom of pendant (island countertop -- if the island is tiered from the lower countertop).

I suppose it depends on the pendant and between 30-36" seems to be the ideal range. It would also depend on how large the pendants are so they don't look stubby if they are mounted too high.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 7:07PM
ikeltz

Dragonfly08 I love your pendant lights. I have the same predicament. What is the total length of your lights? The ones I want are similar, but they say the minimum length is 28 inches. Where did you get your lights? Sorry for all of the questions.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 9:42PM
Jay Cornell

I think pendants are definitely OK with 8' ceilings, but the ones we ordered are a little longer than I envisioned. Once we received them in the mail I got a little concerned that they wouldn't work. What do you guys think? Below is a rendering I did with them plugged in 30" off the counter tops. Rendering is to scale and the actual shades are 19" long. We've also considered going form 5 to 3 of them on our 12' island. Thoughts?

'

Bookmark   February 18, 2015 at 9:19AM
klcharles

Beautiful kitchen. Lovely lights. If it were me I'd scale down to 3 pendants. They look a little close together now and with 3, each one would stand out and be admired!

Bookmark   February 18, 2015 at 8:10PM
sbbrawner

I would drop to 3 as well!

Bookmark   March 11, 2015 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
Ikea Cabinets & Butcherblock - Quality?
We're about 95% sure we're replacing our cabinets....
annaw_123
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Looking for stainless steel sink recommendations
Hey GW - I am looking for a single bowl SS sink for...
swatyreno
Sponsored Products
Chain Reaction Double Shade 18" Wide Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Fibre Light Bottle Pendant by Resident
$3,350.00 | Lumens
Feiss Baton Rouge 27" High Outdoor Hanging Lantern
Lamps Plus
Filament Design Spectra 1-Light Matte Satin Nickel Halogen Track Light CLI-CO460
Home Depot
Hudson Valley Keene Modern Contempo Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Tulen Pendant Lights Lawrence 1-Light Brushed Nickel Incandescent Ceiling
Home Depot
Marset | Scotch Club 41 Pendant Light
YLighting
Celina Dark Rust And Espresso Glass LED Chandelier
$414.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™