Corner Cabinet Functionality

steph2000June 23, 2013

I recently read, but forgot to clip, a post that asserted that small corner cabinets are basically non-functional. What, in your view, is the minimum and preferrable size for a cabinet that is going to have some kind of susan living inside of it?

Thanks so much,
Stephanie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angela12345

Well, the size of the corner will be 24x24. That is the amount of space you would give up if there was nothing being placed in the corner. To be able to access that corner, typically you need it a minimum of 12" wider in each direction.
Here is some information to check out while you are waiting on more responses ...
http://ths.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=corner+cabinet&forum=kitchbath&forum_name=Kitchens
http://ths.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=blind+corner&forum=kitchbath&forum_name=Kitchens

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 5:59PM
jakuvall

Susan- 36" each wall
Blind corner with a useful mechanism- 27" wall space on the blind side (24" cabinet depth plus 3" filler can be 2" with inset )
The other leg is best at 48" (minimum opening of 18, 21" opening much better)so minimum that leg is 45"
Killing the corner can at times be the most effective- depends on layout and storage needs.
All corner mechanisms ar best for larger dense ittems like small appliances and large pots. The "magic corner will handle other items but lacks a certain convenience when used for groceries.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 9:19PM
will2kz

Is this a corner with walls on either side or in an island? If island doors on opposite side a must, or go crazy like me and build a pull out rolling china cabinet!

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:14PM
steph2000

Thanks so much, everyone.

I've gone every way but up with considering corner options. I think I've decided I can't afford to kill it in this small kitchen. At this point, I'm thinking of using it for extra pots, the blender, the toaster, etc. There's a chance it could end up being pantry storage. A lazy susan kind of corner is seeming to fit the layout best at the moment. At other times, a blind seemed better. Thanks so much, jakuvall, for the minimum dimensions for both. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

I was just watching Barker videos and they recommended the double-hinged door with a fixed shelf inside over the lazy susan they sell. They assert it uses the space more effectively. I was kind of surprised by that.

My corner is in the corner with walls, will2kz, but I love your pull out corner. So dang clever!

And thanks for the links, angela!

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Cabs above the fridge and wall oven
We don't have a KD yet, and I'm still just figuring...
Jennifer Weinman
Looking for a review of TCE Quartz
Looking to put in a Quartz countertop and was quoted...
maremurry
Norcraft vs. Marsh cabinets - is one better?
We have been working with a large local cabinet company....
raleighsharon
Baker Cherry Shaker doors vs IKEA Laxarby doors
Please advise on Baker doors. I am going to get IKEA...
enduring
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Sponsored Products
Astoria dwelLED Wall Sconce by WAC Lighting
$158.50 | Lumens
World Map Magnetic Canvas Wall Art with 6-Magnets - 32W x 20H in. - 41-351
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Veranda Bay White Linen Tower
Overstock.com
Arco Floor Lamp
Design Within Reach
Home Decorators Collection Cabinets Chelsea 24 in. W Wall Cabinet with Towel
Home Depot