Need help with initial kitchen layout
We are in the process of configuring a floorplan for our new build, and need to get a rough idea of the kitchen layout. I like the first one below, but am somewhat concerned about the butt-to-butt aspect going on with the sink and cooktop.
Here are the limitations / desires:
1) Main sink on island. I don't want to face a wall, and I don't want the kitchen at the front of the house, so I can't do a window over the sink. (I don't want it to be the directly viewable from the foyer).
2) I am the main cook, and we rarely will be doing cleanup and cooking at the same time. During holidays, I might have helpers.
3) Plenty of seating at island (4 comfortably - more would be great), and not all in a line.
4) DW either next to or directly across from pullouts that hold dishes.
5) Open design - to both breakfast (needs to be on the largish size - no formal dining) and great room.
I like this one, although I think I'd make the island curved instead of bumped out like the picture. I know it's large, but I can't imagine needing to clean the very middle all that often anyway. There is the issue with the sink and cooktop lined up - but would making them offset look odd (i.e. faucet and hood at different positions, when looking at it straight on), or am I overthinking it?
I'd also move the fridge over to the "serving station" wall and recess it there, since I'd want more prep space by the stove. Moving the gallery wall back isn't a problem - this is entirely custom so we're just starting with the important rooms. I'd also put a hidden pantry door in (to blend with cabinets), rather than having the short hallway then the pantry door.
Are there any other L-shaped kitchens with an island that someone can suggest?
We could also do something like this - with the breakfast area bumped forward, allowing for more counter space. I'm not crazy about the pantry placement - I'd probably try to have that accessed from the kitchen itself.