The turmeric test

boone_2009June 20, 2013

Turmeric is supposed to be the hardest stain to get out of kitchen counters and because I like trying out Indian recipes I was wondering if those of you with quartz counters have had any problems with turmeric or similar hard-to-get-rid-of stains.
My choices have been whittled down to: Silestone ( Lagoon , Mont Blanc); Cambria Torquay; and Cesarstone Frosty Carina.
The lovely quartzite I had set my heart on ( Amazon Pearl) has failed the test, alas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annkh_nd

Order a sample and experiment to your heart's content.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 4:27PM
GWlolo

I tried the turmeric test on super white and it failed (even though it was sealed). If you do it, try it with turmeric and oil as well as that stains more and most indian dishes will have both fat and turmeric. Also try saffron

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 7:05PM
barthelemy

I happened to cook with fresh turmeric last weekend on my parents' white quartz (Silestone Bianco Rivers, polished, somewhat similar to Lagoon and Lyra.)

Juice from the freshly cut turmeric stayed on the counter for about 30 minutes and i was able to remove the stain with a wet sponge and soap. I had to rub a bit though, so I would not leave the stain overnight. The counters are 3 years old and free of stains. 'Honed' quartz are said to be more prone to stains though.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 7:58PM
boone_2009

Thank you all for your helpful responses:-).
Annkh: I'm having a hard time getting samples in time ...I started late with the countertops :-( and now am maniacally posting online and doing Google searches.
To my delight, the Amazon Pearl quartzite recovered from my overnight turmeric punishment - after I scrubbed with Dove dishwashing liquid and a soft sponge. It is beautiful but I don't see it anywhere online. I asked the salesman and he said he does not know of another name for it but it is very close to Sea Pearl.
GWlolo: Good tip about oil, thanks!
Barthelemy: Thanks a lot - your post eased my mind regarding Silestone. We were set on a polished slab, whatever we choose; I didn't know that honed quartz is more prone to staining..good to know.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 9:42PM
a2gemini

Barth - no stains on our Cambria - but it is darker and would be hard to find.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 12:03AM
deeageaux

My dad spilled Khoreshte Aloo (Persian Tumeric Plum Chicken Stew) stew all over my Cambria Dovedale counters.

He tried cleaning it himself and not tell me.

A couple of weeks later I found a few drops here and there.

It took a lot of elbow grease but eventually I got it all.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 2:58AM
boone_2009

a2gemini and deeageaux: Thanks for the info on Cambria.
Deeageaux, looks like your dad put in a lot of elbow grease too, if you found only a few drops later! :-)

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 2:19AM
More Discussions
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
poppy3212
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™