Ohhhh backsplash...

JSpannJune 13, 2014

We need to make a decision on the backsplash by Monday morning... so far we've just had this lame board to use, but a few samples are supposed to make it to me today (fingers crossed!)

My question: what is your gut instinct for a backsplash for this kitchen? My plan has been a subway, hence my horizontal outlets.

The cabinets are Alabaster - they're a creamy white. Counters are St. Cecilia Light... not as warm as other st. cecilias, and I think it definitely reads 'dark' from a distance. Hardware is brushed nickel.

My first thought is a biscuit (baaaarely off white), not sure on grout. But then occasionally I wonder if I am being too cautious and maybe I should be doing more of a light gray or griege subway... or perhaps just do the biscuit, but make it a herringbone pattern to give more visual interest? Would that look dumb w/the plugs set as they are?

Any opinions welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
funkelsgw

From the pics, your granite seems to have a little gray hue to it. I wonder if something with a slight gray might bring things together. You won't really know until you actually have the samples on the countertop under different lighting conditions. This is what we did. We went with 2x8 tiles and really like the look.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 6:12PM
JSpann

thank you for the picture, Funkels! I am wondering the same thing about a light gray... just scared... :) I should see a sample I can actually put up against it here sometime tonight... yay!

...Ironically, the lights won't even be turned on until next Wednesday, probably... haha! So much pressure.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 6:56PM
SparklingWater

What about matching your cabinet color in the tile and doing a soft pearl or gray grout? Try to defocus the dark color in the St. Cecelia and bridge the two products via the grout?

TEC Grout, Pearl and Silverado come to mind.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 7:36PM
lori_inthenw_gw

We used a 4x16 subway that came in Alabaster and a warmer grayish color called Fog. It was from one of the more affordable lines at Ann Sacks called Grid, if you want to check it out. Less than 10.00 SF. Avail. In matte or gloss. We haven't seen it grouted yet, but it's a nice quality tile.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:08PM
amberm145_gw

Is that Kitchen Craft "Alabaster"? That's what my cabinets are, and it's really a stark white, not creamy.

I found it hard to match a white tile to the white cabinets. So I'd probably do a pale grey.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 9:11PM
JSpann

Just wanted to follow up... thanks for your input!

we went with an alabaster subway w/a gray grout and love how it turned out. Here is a picture and here's a link to the virtual tour if you want a bigger picture!

http://susanhutcherson.com/PropertyDetails?ls=MTRMLS&pid=1530463&presented_by=homepage&show_virtual_tour=yes&show_description=yes&show_address=yes

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:08AM
sumnerstuff

JSpann, absolutely beautiful. I bet you are thrilled. Enjoy!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:10AM
localeater

Thank you so much for posting an update. Looks absolutely perfect!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Support for vintage double drainboard sink?
I'm planning my kitchen remodel now and have a question...
mccb1
What wall oven under $2500 do you have and love?
What single wall oven <$2500 do you have and love?...
enzaenza
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Ordered my cabinets in rustic beech
What I am wondering is why all the kitchen magazines...
ryseryse_2004
Sponsored Products
Virtu USA MD-2072-WMRO-WH 72 Caroline Double Sink Bathroom Vanity in White
Blue Bath
2" Solid Brass Wall Tile with Clover Design - Burnished Brass
Signature Hardware
Cambridge Tea Leaf Neutral Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Scot Siphonic One-Piece Elongated Toilet - ADA Compliant
Signature Hardware
Virtu GS-4060-WMSQ-DW-001 60 Inch Single Bathroom Vanity with Faucet
Blue Bath
James Martin Furniture Balmoral 48 in. Single Vanity - Antique Walnut Brown - 15
Hayneedle
Samson 25W x 19D in. Quartz Single Sink Vanity Top with Biscuit Bowl - Q2519-3A-
$421.99 | Hayneedle
Cambridge Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™