Backsplash Grout - Can It be Kept Clean?

kmo1June 9, 2009

I am looking at a tile back splash for my kitchen and I am concerned about keeping the grout clean. I look at my shower tile and I know how hard I have to work to keep the grout lines looking decent. Is this what I will have to do in the kitchen, especially behind the stove? I am a low maintenance kind of girl and don't want to be a slave to my back splash.

What are your experiences with your grout lines in the kitchen?????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jan_jan

I am wanting white subway tile with white grout all the way down to the counter. I spilled red wine recently and as it poured behind my plywood counter tops and I was wiping off the wall and I thought to myself I'm really glad my white grout wasn't in yet. I posted on this a couple weeks ago and some people said there is a silicone bead to help but I'm still worried about it looking like crap in a short few years. I guess there is always bleach! :) I'm going to go for it. I went and looked at my girlfriends white subway tile that is about 7 years old and it looked great. Good luck with your decision. I don't think my babbling helped but I'm sure some others will chime in.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 3:40PM
bill_vincent

I am wanting white subway tile with white grout all the way down to the counter.

No, you're not. You're wanting white caulking where it hits the countertop. :-)

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 4:03PM
kmo1

I am looking at either a glass tile or a porcelain tile so I am not as concerned about the tile but really about the grout lines. I am envisioning spaghetti sauce, curries, grease, etc. all over the grout - is this the case?

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 4:21PM
rjr220

I just got up from the laptop to eyeball my 30 y/o groutlines on the kitchen backsplash -- white 4x4 tiles with white grout, and it looks fine -- even in the corner b/t the stove and sink where most prep gets done. Above the range is fine as well. Now, IF there was a stain, after this week-end I know what I would do: hit it with the Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean. We put new floor tile with gray grout down 4 years ago: I put 2 coats of sealer on, but it was looking narly after many meals and 2 adolescents and their friends. I read on the cleaning forum about using the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on floor grout, and it is MAGIC. Very little elbow grease, fabulous action. Granted, the grout chews thru the pads (3 pads for about 100 linear ft of grout thus far, 1/2 inch wide). So, I wouldn't worry about the backsplash.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 6:24PM
Gina_W

The tiler I used sealed the grout. I don't know what he used, but it never stains.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 7:31PM
mdmc

I don't have white grout but it is light colored. Had my new kitchen 3 years and no problem. I will admit I don't fry much though. Cook everything else.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 7:37PM
monicakm_gw

I have a tumbled travertine backsplash. It and the grout got 3, maybe 4 coats of AquaMix Gold water based sealer. Nothing has ever stained the stone or grout (even behind the stove). I just use a Mr Clean Eraser, just a swipe or two and it's gone!
Monica

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 7:54PM
squigs

What about using the epoxy grout. Supposedly, you don't have to worry about staining or mildew, etc.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 7:59PM
biochem101

I bought grout that was supposedly already sealed. It was a little more expensive, but my backsplash wasn't that big. Before putting in the marble subway (with white grout), there was (I'm pretty sure of the age) 27-year-old biege 4x4 tiles with white grout. It's in the bathrooms too and the kitchen never had the problems the bathroom grout does. The ktichen grout looked fine.

It's not wet all the time, for one thing. My kitchen never gets moldy. And really very little gets "splashed" on the walls. I find the kitchen tile gets a fine layer of grease that comes off nicely with RockxDoctor spray and paper towels. Well, actually on the old ceramic tile I used Mr. Clean, or any grease cutter. And not every day. Honestly, that biege tile never looked dirty! (Or it's grout.)

Floors and bathrooms, that's another story....

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Kitchen colors....need something happy and vintage :)
I want to try to go a bit vintage with my low-dollar...
lavender_lass
Feedback on revised kitchen layout
Hello again! After receiving some great feedback for...
kevinhoene
Why are my granite edges lighter than the top?
Perhaps some of you recall my ordeal with my kitchen...
pumpkinhouse
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
So many kitchen reno questions
Hi, My moniker was changed when Houzz and Gardenweb...
dyhgarden
Sponsored Products
Sagehill Designs UW4821D Urban Walnut 48 in. Single Bathroom Vanity - SUNN154
Hayneedle
Pegasus 25W x 22D in. Granite Vanity Top for Vessel Sink - 179329
$149.99 | Hayneedle
Mosaic Tile: Solistone Flooring Modern Opera 12 in. x 12 in. x 9.5mm Marble
$19.00 | Home Depot
Wall-mounted 36-inch Range Hood
Overstock.com
31" Granite Vanity Top for Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware