Tell me about leather finish&ever heard of white velvet quartzite

nobeesJune 5, 2013

So, after my slab fiasco, I have tracked down a slab called white velvet leather.

It looks great in the pic, but I don't know anything about leather finish except the girl said it feels bumpy and it's not polished. So, does it hold up better/worse?

They are calling this stone white velvet, and I asked for a cross name. She didn't know of any, but I can get a sample to test for stains/etching. The polished version they have doesn't look very much like this photo she sent of the white velvet leather, but they are supposedly both "white velvet."

I'm almost afraid to post; I don't want another slab to disappear on me! (My previous one was sold under my feet.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nobees

Here's the white velvet polished. The coloring looks pretty different.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 3:28PM
kevdp4

Leather finishes are just as durable as a polished finish, and easy to clean. That is a light colored granite which typically is a little more porous.

No need to over analyze, if you like the color and the feel of it, go for it!

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 3:43PM
carsonheim

I like that A LOT! I love that it has some sort of creaminess to it which makes it a bit warmer. Give the address of the shop; I'm gonna go buy it!! :-)

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:07PM
kksmama

I've seen a few leather finishes, and wanted to like them because I don't think I want gloss - but the bumpiness bothered me. I see my kids sitting at the island for school work and the texture being a problem. I'm hoping to find more honed and brushed slabs to consider.
Colors are much more muted when slabs aren't mirror polished.
I'm SO sorry about what happened nobees! Don't rush to pick another slab - avoid choosing a "rebound" love after having your heart broken.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:36PM
nobees

"avoid choosing a "rebound" love after having your heart broken"

That made me laugh!!!

I will at least see this in person to see if it gives me a good feeling. I never thought about writing on that texture; that's something to consider.

Carsonheim---Not funny!!!! ;)

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:51PM
Holly- Kay

Oooooh, I think that is beautiful . I had solid surface in a finish they caled slate and it had a ridgey type surface. I loved the look and it wore really well but it was not good for writing and a bit harder to clean.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 6:15PM
nobees

So, the rebound won't work because my fabricator says it's too much money and she doesn't usually work with that distributor, so it's not as easy to negotiate. That gave me a chance to chime in that I refuse to be punished financially for a mistake that someone else made.
Anyway, next up... I still don't know what she'll say about pricing, but she did send me a white mac. from the same place this morning.

Why can't I change my post name?? I didn't want to make a new one to keep asking similar opinions/questions.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Granicrete? Anyone have it or seen it?
Has anyone seen or used Granicrete for countertops...
janeincolorado
Where to sell zinc countertop??
Help! A dramatic error has resulted in my ownership...
halgreene
Where to end tile-dilema!
The quartzite and backsplash will be gone. So ignore...
heidia
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Help on Cabinet Approach / Selection
Hi, I've actively scoured the forum for useful tidbits...
fshine
Sponsored Products
RION Furniture - Allister Chair with Rattan in Teak - SOF202T
Great Furniture Deal
Hampton Bay White and Black Track Lighting Live-End Connector Cover Plates EC713
$9.97 | Home Depot
Round White Ceramic Semi-Recessed Sink
TheBathOutlet
River Rock Wedge Brown Tech Pendant for Juno Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Citrus Anya Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Stencil Dining Side Chair in White
$129.00 | LexMod
Indoor/ Outdoor South Beach Blue Stripes Rug (2' x 3')
Overstock.com
One-Light Textured White Light Kit with Etched Glass
$39.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™