Backsplash help!

michelle12345678June 16, 2013

I have a modern, espresso maple kitchen (no panels on the cabinet doors) And espresso floors and its a backcounter with a fairly large island with an eating bar that opens to the living room. The apartment is otherwise white and gets a lot of light. I'm getting a new backsplash and countertop to brighten the kitchen. I'm getting pental quartz countertops in thassos color (which is the whitest I've found). Should I get a white marble with grey veining single slab (carerra, statuario or calacutta) for the full backsplash, 4x4 or 4x12 marble tiles in the same color) - tiling vs the slab are the same price) or something else like a white matte glass tile)? I want it to look timeless but I worry the marble (especially marble tile) will clash because the cabinets are contemporary (or so you think it will look good with the marble)? I think all white counters and backsplash will look too flat. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sanjuangirl

I think a slab of marble would be gorgeous! Marble is very versatile and can look, old world, traditional, contemporary or modern depending on the context. Go on Houzz and search for kitchens with cabinets like yours in the search bar. You can look through the photos and see what moves you. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 12:47AM
sanjuangirl

Here are some photos that I found on Houzz. I have always love this first kitchen even though I'm not a modern girl. I love this slab backsplash!

Contemporary Kitchen by Louisville Kitchen & Bath Designers Kenneth Fromme

-kitchen-dallas'>

Contemporary Kitchen by Dallas Interior Designers & Decorators Denise McGaha Interiors

Design-contemporary-kitchen-san-francisco'>

Contemporary Kitchen by Orinda Interior Designers & Decorators Revive Home Design

Contemporary Kitchen by Sacramento Architects & Designers Debbie R. Gualco

Good Luck and I hope it ends up just like you imagined!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:34AM
michelle12345678

Thanks. I did see the first kitchen while searching and its similar to my kitchen. I think you are right that marble is versatile

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:56AM
EAM44

I haven't seen a sample of your quartz in real life. I do love marble, but nothing makes a man-made counter look more fake than putting it under real stone. If you want the look that SJG is showing you, you may want to use a slab of your counter material as your backsplash, although I agree that would be a little bland. You have made some classic choices, and can do anything you want including adding color, at this point. Perhaps you should google image search "espresso cabinets white quartz counters" and see what appeals to you.

Pental Quartz Thassos
img src="http://www.pentalonline.com/images/products/pentalquartz/thassos-Pental-Quartz-T.jpg">

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 4:25AM
More Discussions
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Help me with my Appliance Allowance - $15k
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™