Interior Paint Help

deanfinderJune 17, 2014

We are running up against a deadline to pick out paint colors in our new construction home. Our kitchen is open to the living room.

Our kitchen countertops are a green, grey, blue with some yellow and brown veining. We were going to pair that with birch backsplash tile from fireclay tiles. Both are pictured below.

We were going with a dark almost espresso stain on the cabinets, and the floor is red oak and will be stained a medium brown.

The problem is that we were going to use a light gray for the main interior color of the house. I didn't really think about it much, but will light gray (sw Argos or sw monorail silver) look okay with the countertops and backsplash in the kitchen? I can't really picture it, but since this color will be used in most of the rooms, we would really like it to be some kind of gray and cannot really have that without the kitchen being gray due to the open concept.

Any suggestions on a gray that will work? Or should I give up and live with a beige?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OOTM_Mom

I have monorail silver in my family room and kitchen. Here it is on the wall before my backsplash went in. While it can look greyish, it looks mostly light blue in my family room. I also have oak, medium brown stain floors.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 4:52PM
OOTM_Mom

Here is a shot of a section of wall in family room with the floors and monorail silver walls.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 5:06PM
deanfinder

Thanks so much OOTM_mom! Your house looks beautiful and it's been a big help to see some real life pictures with one of the colors.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:28PM
brightm

OOTM_mom, can I ask your trim color?

I've recently switched over to SW for my paint. I'm wanting to work towards switching all our trim over to something whiter than what we have. Whatever we have, it's very yellow-y (we got white windows recently). I'm leaning towards Snowbound. Your Monorail Silver could be a good color for our kitchen walls. I really like it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:19AM
OOTM_Mom

Cal_quail, trim is Snowbound!

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 6:31AM
jennybc

I have snowbound and love it!!!!! I tried to match to windows and sink and came up snowbound! I struggled with my white choice more than any other but I am very happy.

Sorry this didn't help your delema much. Can you create a mood board?

Jen

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 6:44AM
brightm

deanfinder, your counter is beautiful. May I ask what it is? Sorry I'm not much help on the paint questions. I'm asking them too for all kinds of paint jobs all over the house.

So excited about Snowbound being a 'good choice'! THAT's why I switched to SW...to bond with other TKO folks. :D (No BM around here.)

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 9:47AM
Annie Deighnaugh

If you want gray, is there a reason you're not going with a gray tile backsplash?

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 9:54AM
deanfinder

cal_quail, thank you for your compliment! Our countertop is Green Iron Honed.

AnnieDeighnaugh, we ordered the beige tile before we thought about paint color. We thought the beige looked better with the countertop and couldn't really find a gray tile we liked. Our issue is now that we ordered it and started thinking about paint colors, we'd like to avoid beige paint since that's what we have had for so long.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
quartz countertops
I'm so confused. I keep reading that quartz countertops...
judydel
Faucet for kitchen remodel
I am having trouble finding the right faucet to go...
kathy6421
So many kitchen reno questions
Hi, My moniker was changed when Houzz and Gardenweb...
dyhgarden
karin_mt & Marble Owners Who Have Been Able to Remove Etching
I've read that some have been successful at removing...
aloha2009
Sponsored Products
Monogram Correspondence Cards
$24.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Leather Shag Dark Brown 9 ft. x
Home Depot
Francesca Taupe Patterned Sheer Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
32 Inch Zero Radius Undermount Single Bowl Kitchen Sink and Felice Style Solid S
eModern Decor
Clouds Clips Rectangle Wall Sconce by Justice Design Group
$261.00 | Lumens
Zaneen | Guggenheim 8 Light Chandelier
YLighting
Thurston Oval Solid Bronze Lever Set - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware
Bow Matte Black 16-Inch One Light Pendant with Autumn Leaves Tiffany Glass
$248.60 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™