I need a backsplash! Please help with design? (pics)
ItÂs a blank slate Â will you please help me mark it up?
I still have so many little details to finish in this kitchen, but I'm ready to start on the backsplash behind the range because IÂm sick of looking at the ugly wall. I have no idea where to start and am not feeling particularly creative, so of course, I'm asking all my TKO friends for ideas.
In the beginning I thought I would do creamy subway tiles, but now I'm thinking that I need something darker to "anchor" the dark hood to the rest of the space (photos below).
Things to note:
1) Tiles will also go down the sides of the adjacent cabs instead of veneering with wood;
2) Counters are IKEA BB and have been in place for several years - intended to be temporary and eventually replaced with soapstone. Now it's up in the air whether we will actually be staying in this house. If we do stay, I'm using Santa Rita Venata SS. If we donÂt stay, I'm not spending $$ to change the counters. I am willing to stain them darker, however, if you think that would look better.
3) Cabinet color and hood color cannot be changed. It is what it is. The contrast is softer in real life than it looks in photo, but again, I think the backsplash (any maybe counter) will be the key to tying it all together.
4) I am not a fan of anything modern or contemporary-looking. For ex, I donÂt really like glass tiles, multi-colored bright geometrics or such, but IÂm open to all suggestions.
5) Design needs to be something relatively easy (and not outrageously expensive) because it will be completely DIY. However, I donÂt want something totally boring either (like in my MN kitchen where I had to throw something up quick b/c the house was going on the market).
6) I have already looked through the entire FKB for inspiration Â but nothing is really grabbing me. I need INPUT! IÂm a visual person, so photos or mock-ups help too.
Here is the space:
Here is one tile I found at LoweÂs that I like and I think the color is good Â but again, what to do? Just use this one all over? I guess we could call this my inspiration tile (not very inspiring, huh?). Is it TOO dark?
What would you do with this space? Please give me any and all suggestions! I really appreciate it!