Friday humor break -- kitchen "staged" for selling

browniepieJune 6, 2014

Was looking through some real estate pics and got quite a chuckle from this kitchen pic from a very expensive home for sale in Florida.

Meow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linelle

I don't even know what I'm seeing. WTH is that slanted area to the left? A sinking ship?

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 2:58PM
lisadlu

When I was looking for a home last summer I could not believe how messy and dirty some people left their houses, knowing prospective buyers were coming through. It always made me think that if this is the best you can do I'm sure routine maintenance has not been performed either. People are slobs!! You would think the realtor would have tidied up a bit before taking photos!

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 3:00PM
love_the_yard

now?

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 3:01PM
browniepie

I just got a kick out of the cat on the counter.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 3:02PM
bluerdgddrs

That can not be real! If people don't have the common sense to "straighten" up and get the darn cat off the kitchen counter does anyone really think they ever cleaned their house-ever?

I'm still looking for the sinking ship? It's like a game of eye-spy!

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 3:03PM
Skyangel23

Maybe its a Florida thing, but we looked at some pretty nice houses while we were searching to buy, 300K plus, and some of them were beyond messy. One house had clothes all over the bed, make up out on the counter, and hair in the drain. We'd made the appointment two days before, so it wasn't like it was a surprise....

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 3:20PM
love_the_yard

Yeah, it's a Florida thing but almost exclusively transplants.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 3:24PM
plllog

I think some people are conflicted about selling and do this to mark their territory.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 3:25PM
weissman

These days in Massachusetts houses are selling way above asking price. Sellers aren't even bother to fix obviously broken things. The house next door to me recently sold and I asked my new neighbors if they got an allowance for the broken atrium window. They laughed and said not only did they not get an allowance but they had to keep upping their bid to get the house. There's also a new buying strategy these days, offering to pay $5K more than the best offer a seller receives. It's nice to know that the housing market is back, at least in some area!

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 4:08PM
greenhaven

Unreal! I have seen some pretty gross places for sale, usually estate sales that arr somewhat priced accordingly.

On the other hand I have seen some AWFUL pictures taken by real estate agents for listings. How about a little effort?

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 4:20PM
tomatofreak

More chuckles!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bad listing photos

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 6:10PM
debrak2008

I used to work for a company that did reports for insurance companies. Our reps. would go in people homes and take photos for their homeowners insurance. Appointments were made so the homeowners had time to prepare. They didn't seem to care.

Some of the most expensive homes were a mess. Especially the bathrooms. The bigger and more expensive the bathroom was the more of a mess it was.

Did you know that whirlpool tubs are meant for you to throw all your dirty towels on? The long marble counter top with two sinks means that you must have out on it every possible hair and skin care product known to man.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 6:22PM
daisychain01

tomatofreak - could not stop laughing

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 6:45PM
PhoneLady

Even the cat seems stunned. Caption "These people live like ANIMALS"

Thanks for the chuckle!!

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 8:20PM
sahmmy_gw

The cat on the counter is cracking' me up. (And I have cats, and, yes, occasionally they jump on the counter--only at night when no one is awake. Then in the morning I see their little damp footprints.)

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 8:22PM
pdx7700

Oh my! That is great, thanks for posting! I feel silly that I didn't even see the cat until the red arrow.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 8:35PM
dex215

Lovetheyard -- Why do you think it is mostly transplants who have messy houses? Do people born and brought up in Florida have higher standards?

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 8:38PM
gr8daygw

Find the cat in the picture. LOL A photo like that really makes me want to plunk down some earnest money.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 7:20AM
greenhaven

dex215, you know what I think it is? Over-privileged people who don't know how to pick up after themselves who just wait for the the help to come around and pick up after them. but that has nothing to do with Floridians, lol!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 11:17AM
CEFreeman

I'd buy the cat....

I didn't see him, either, being distracted by all the crap.
Oh, my.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 11:47AM
brightm

I didn't see the cat at first either. I was reading it on my phone at the hairdresser. I was too busy trying to figure out what the white things were in front and if they'd purposely tied pendants together or what it was that was hanging from the ceiling.

Then I saw the cat/arrow, and started busting up. THEN I went to the link with bad realty pics and totally lost it. Had to wait until I got home to look at more.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 12:13PM
Errant_gw

I think the sinking ship is a poorly hung, ridiculously small pot rack :o

As for the dirty/rundown houses you see listed... I think it's due to people not wanting to sell, or maybe even renters who don't want to have to move out when it does sell

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 12:29PM
musicgal

How much trouble would it have been to clear off the seating area, tuck the kitchen mess in the sink to clear the counters and pick up the cat? This listing screams, "Please lowball me".

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 5:18PM
Trebruchet

Our two cats aren't allowed on the countertops or table tops. I think they get up there in front of us just to get the attention of getting yelled at occasionally.

When I worked for another fabricator many years ago, we did Corian work for Home Depot. I templated a house that reeked of cat soo badly that I suggested on our note sheet that the installer get hazard pay. The customers got a copy, complained to HD, and I got yelled at for it.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 6:01PM
weissman

Well, as I said in a previous reply - it all depends on the market. The house next door to me sold as-is for $85K above the asking price.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 6:06PM
tomatofreak

You could also call many in this group "how NOT to decorate"! Click on each photo to open up more.

Here is a link that might be useful: more photo insanity

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 8:08PM
romy718

I looked at this on Friday & couldn't even comment, I was so confused about what I was looking at. Came back tonight & actually noticed the cat before I got to the pic with the red arrow. I can see how we could miss the cat but how could the person taking the pic miss him/her? Maybe it was intentional to add a little more character to the listing?

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 2:28AM
schicksal

That is a HUGE cat!

I'm trying to find something I like about the space... maybe the picture was taken at night? In my opinion it's an open floorplan taken too far. Lighting isn't great either.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 5:47AM
ak0402

The cat is funny, but what is up with the pot rack? I don't know if it's that the photo was taken using a fisheye-type lens that alters the perspective or what. But the cat looks double the size of any of the pots hanging from the pot rack. And the pot rack looks impossibly high, like it would be so difficult to reach any of the pots. Then there's the double ovens placed side-by-side--that kind of setup is usually a high-end feature, which doesn't fit with the tacky fridge door panelling and the rest of the jumble. I am just itching to take that space and tear it out and do it right the Kitchens Forum "TKO" way. And give the cat a big hug.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
Countertops for butlers pantry
We have a wall in pantry that will need countertops...
aktillery9
It starts with the sink... Kohler Stages 33 or 45?
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just starting a kitchen...
ediblekitchen
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Sponsored Products
Atlanta Braves Shot Glass Set
$18.99 | zulily
Fruitwood Set of 3 Glass Kitchen Canisters with Wrought Iron
Classic Hostess
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus 614.855PR Shower Set w Valve Tub Filler & Diverter
$389.00 | Blue Bath
Wilber Barstool
$349.00 | Horchow
Old Dutch Decor Copper Hammered Cookie Jar
Overstock.com
Electri-Chef Island Marine 48 in. Built-In Electric Grill Multicolor - 8800-EC-1
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™