Modest makeover memories

browniepieJune 16, 2014

I was looking through old pictures and was inspired to share two modest kitchen makeovers from our previous two homes. We're in the middle of a kitchen facelift now and it was fun to look back at some of the updates we'd done in other kitchens... I think what I like the most is that they weren't major investments compared to many GW makeovers, but rather small tweaks to make them feel more like home to us.
This was our first house. We replaced the laminate countertops (with charcoal laminate), removed the backsplash and wallpaper, got new cabinet hardware, replaced appliances (with scratch and dent finds), and repainted.

BEFORE

AFTER

This was our second house. We painted the cabinets, swapped in new appliances, got new cabinet hardware, removed the wallpaper, and repainted. This was intended to be a 3-5 year tide us over until we could do a full-blown remodel, but I sure did love my little orange kitchen despite the "floating" stove and numerous other layout issues.

BEFORE (yes, we bought a house that was this messy for a showing--LOCATION!!!)

AFTER

I loved these kitchens and made great meals and great memories in them, but they'll never be featured on Houzz. :-)

Do you have a modest makeover to share?

This post was edited by browniepie on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 12:57

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhaven

In the middle of mine! :oD okay, the last ten percent of mine. Moved fridge, added cabinets and painted everything to match. New countertops, hardware, sink and faucet. Oh, and new stove and fridge. It started a lot more modest, but then DH got involved. ;o)

Been awhile since I have worked on it seriously, still waiting for The Guy to come do my backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen Facelift Journey

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 8:29PM
CEFreeman

Most of us do, in some fashion.
Mine is in pieces all over the forum, and I haven't finished enough to do a before or after.

I love the pickled oak you had. You made it all look pretty.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 10:22PM
robo (z6a)

I don't have one (way too lazy) but I love looking at yours! I hope more people post their modest makeovers.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 11:34PM
beautybutdebtfree

There's so much to be said for appreciating what you have, and working with it, tweaking it to make it "you." That soft grey on the walls is so pretty!

Nice jobs!

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 7:02AM
More Discussions
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™