What type of wood for painted cabinets?

cz_scrapJune 12, 2014

We met with the builder a few weeks ago and he warned us it was going to be expensive-several times-lol. This is a new house we are building in central coast California.He was right. In reviewing the specs, we realized he had spec'd cherry cabinets for the kitchen, craft room and laundry room. We realized we didn't need cheery for the craft or laundry room as those would be painted white. I have no idea what type of wood is good for painted cabinets. We decided to keep the cherry in the kitchen. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ajc71

We always spec "stained" grade maple for our stile and rails and a MDF center panel for all painted doors/panels

Stained grade maple is a grade of maple that does not make the grade for clear grade maple but is perfect to paint

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 12:17PM
gfiliberto

Our kitchen has painted cherry cabinets. The insides of the cabinets are beautiful when you open the door.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:00PM
live_wire_oak

The upcharge for painted cabinets is likely to be as much or more than the upcharge for stained cherry. For your lesser used rooms, consider oak cabinets. It's the cheapest wood option. If you must have a painted look, go for a partial overlay door in a recessed panel as that will be the least expensive choice. The standard for painted cabinets is maple as it takes painted very well, and is hard enough to withstand some knocks without denting.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Help w/ Bosch convection microwave auto chef settings
I needed a new microwave. Didn't need this fancy thing,...
rebunky
Gray Tile Grout - hideous HELP!!
Please help! I asked my tile guy to update our backsplash....
isheryl
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
Corian Countertop -Show your pics!
Hi, I'm considering installing a corian countertop...
MercerM
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™