Backsplash that's not tile?

chrissyb2411June 2, 2013

Just looking for thoughts. We are going with a solid surface product for our countertops. ( not a popular choice I know, but we like it ). I'm wondering if doing a tile backsplash might look awkward? The color we chose is called white quartz, bright white with smaller flecks and speckles. I defiantly don't want the integrated backsplash. Any thoughts? We have a maple shaker style cabinet in a praline stain from kraftmaid, and a willow green paint. Would say transitional is our style, and looking for a clean uncluttered look. I thought about metal but I think that would be too modern. Just paint? Solid colored tile?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

Tile would look fine, just like people do tile with stone.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 12:20PM
Holly- Kay

A solid surface counter top will be fine. If you love it use it and I think they are one of the most durable and versatile counter top choices. My last home had a solid surface that looked as good when I sold my home as it did when I built it 10 years before.

Your cabinets sound lovely and willow green also sounds so pretty. I would only do tile if you love the look. Otherwise IMO it would be a waste of money. A painted bs is great because it goes perfectly with your walls.

I don't think a metal bs should be ruled out. There is a beautiful stainless steel material with a diamond pattern that is so pretty. It is an option that I am considering and my decorating style is definitely traditional. If you google garden web and stainless backsplash you should find the post that has a link to the ss bs. It was posted a few weeks ago.

Good luck with your decision.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 12:51PM
LoPay

I have had painted backslash forever. And am planning the same for my renno. I love being able to hang things on it.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 9:21PM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

I have painted beadboard (the inexpensive sheets) for most of my backsplash. It's simple, but lends a little more interest than just painted sheetrock. It might take your shaker cabinets in a vintage/cottage direction, definitely less modern. A painted backsplash is the norm in most kitchens I see in my area.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 8:28AM
heidia

We were in a similar situation. I considered antique mirror and then decided on a wood panel painted same color as cabs.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Your longest stretch of granite counter w/o seam?
Our counters will be re-templated later today. It...
tea4all
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Anyone have Cambria Seagrove? Or Summerhill?
I have been GW lots lately trying to decide on countertops....
Lily Spider
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™