Is your dishwasher attached to your granite or the countertops?

lynwJune 13, 2008

Just a quick question - Granite people say dishwasher should be attached to the cabinets. Plumber says it should be attached to the granite. Thoughts? Appreciate your help. By the way the kitchenaid installation manual says attach to cabinets for a granite countertop.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

Definitely attach it to the cabinets if you have that option - your plumber is wrong.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 11:44AM
momj47

Mine is attached to a small strip of wood set into a groove routed into the bottom of the granite in front of the dishwasher. My granite fabricators/installers and KD did a good job with appliances.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 11:56AM
jujybean

attach to the cabinets is my opinion.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 12:46PM
weissman

The wood attached to the granite that momj47 suggests is a good second choice if you have a DW that can't be attached to the side cabinets - but your KA can! You definitely don't want to drill holes into the granite.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 12:49PM
sduck2

My carpenter attached the dishwasher on the side to the cabinets. He was afraid to try to attach original clips to the soapstone countertop and so wasn't I.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 12:51PM
sue_ct

My DW is attached to the Quartz countertop. The plumber used clips and epoxy the counter guys gave him, he epoxied the clips to the underside of the countertop and then attached the dw to it with screws. He may have asked the countertop guys what to do and it apparently was OK with them attaching it to the countertop since they gave him the supplies.

Sue

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 1:31PM
pharaoh

We built a cabinet for the dishwasher. This has a plywood top to which the dishwasher attaches with screws. Nothing is attached to the stone.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 1:56PM
sherilynn

Ditto to pharaoh's answer.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 2:25PM
pew1

Don't even give it a second thought, attach to the cabinets.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 2:29PM
chefkev

My plumber said the same thing. It seems go against prevailing thought here, but our granite fabricator did drill small holes in the granite, which the dishwasher is now attached to.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 3:46PM
inkycrab

I have a KA and it is attached to the cabinets. If you attach it to the countertop, you may have trouble getting it in and out if you need to service the DW. The tabs on the top can come off and go on the side and then attach to the sides of the cabinets. Very easy.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 4:14PM
breezy_2

Typically the cabinet has a horizontal 1X2 piece of wood across the top of the DW opening that the DW attaches to. I have never seen a DW connect directly into a countertop.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 5:59PM
iris16

Our fabricator said it can be done either way but suggested we plan on attaching to the cabinets. We have yet to select the granite :(

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 6:02PM
chrissiemw

Mine is attached just like momj47's. They milled out a strip from the granite and filled it in with wood and resin and attached the DW to the wood.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 9:44PM
angeldolly

We did 90% of the kitchen remodel ourselves, but not the granite instln. We found brackets on-line that attach to our KA dishwasher and then attach to the floor, prevents the dishwasher from tipping when the door is opened. They're a KA item, and attach to the back of the washer.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Barker cabinet samples
Does anyone have any barker cabinet samples that they're...
tigger9759
Floor for White Kitchen?
Our original plan was wood look tile with white cabinets....
annaw_123
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™