Kitchen Update - Lighting in (mostly) and Beams review
A while back I posted about my lighting plan for the kitchen which included a mishegoss of way too many types of lights. Thankfully you all helped me edit it down and we have it mostly in. That thread is too old to revive apparently, but I wanted to post an update. We don't have the center pendant in as we're waiting for floors, cabinets and countertops before I put a (what I'm assuming to be) ridiculously easy to break glass ball on a chain in the middle of the room.
** Ubiquitous apology for iphone photo quality here **
So here's our kitchen to be as it stands now:
Sink wall with 3 lights. Again thanks to caoh for the inspiration and exact light recommendation.
Better shot of the track lights. Ignore the scrap on the wall, it's just a flesh wound. Installing beams is hard y'all.
Looking out towards the living room dining room where the "beam" goes "through" the wall.
Our beams are pieced together hollow beams that came unfinished from Virtual Timbers. They are in the hand hewn finish and we love them. We stained them with one coat of Provincial by Minwax left on for 15 minutes and wiped off. We ended up paying less for these than some of the foam beams we priced out and seriously could not be happier with them. Both before and after staining you could not see the seam at the corner where to sides meet. They do a wonderful job and I would heartily recommend them to anyone or use them again for another project.
We did have some issues installing them but that was mostly due to us not realizing that the sheetrock tape in the corner of the wall caused the distance at the top of the beam to be tighter than the distance at the bottom of the beam by up to 1/2" inch. My contractor (who did not install them, we did) later told me he has a special tool to scribe the ends just so when he does it ... of course he does. Oh well, we can patch the walls and the gaps at the bottom of some beams (maybe 3 beams out of 7 have gaps on the bottom on one end or both) will get patched and painted if it continues to bug us, or maybe some moulding if we get desperate. The actual putting up of bracing, and nailing / screwing the beams to it was very straight forward and only required 3 guys for the one 16' beam. The cutting and measuring would have been probably fine too if I knew ahead of time to scribe or if I had checked the corner for square.