Changing from color to a neutral background

jennybogAugust 11, 2012

Hi Everyone, I have a dilemma. I have a Antique New England cape.The downstairs has 5 rooms that open up to each other.Kitchen opens into breakfast room, that opens into dining room, that opens into living-room.I also have a small bedroom that comes off the dining room.

Right now my kitchen which is very small, has cranberry red cabinets . The living room which is at the other end is also a cranberry red.It has very good balance. The breakfast room is new Harbor Yellow bm,Dining room is a med green.It all goes very nice.All my fabrics work very well together. The problem is that after 9 years I need to repaint and the fabric has become faded. So i would like to update. The issue is.I have always been drawn to a all neutral homes. That way i can add color per season ect.. How do i get out of this color rut.I don't want to make the wrong decision of course.Will I be in shock if go white?Thank you sorry this is so long here is a pic of kitchen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saypoint

I also like neutralish rooms. White white will be to stark against the warm midtones it sounds like you have in the rest of the adjacent areas. An off-white or cream color would be better. With the black cabinet and mid-tones elsewhere, even a gray or beige with a green or yellow undertone in a light value would look whitish in comparison, and might be more historically appropriate.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 8:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
demeron

"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." :)

You don't have to go white with the cabinets. I love white cabinets, but if you don't have a lot of natural light, you might be happier with some gentle color.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
This is why you don't pick paint colours off the internet
This photo has been circulating the internet today....
amberm145
Best mirror for misaligned light and faucet?
The light over our bathroom sink is not centered over...
amj0517
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
HGTV Fixer Upper show
I have been reading in blog land about HGTV's new show...
ratherbesewing
Dove soap users...
Have you noticed they made the bar soap smaller? I...
SheeshareeII
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™