Changing from color to a neutral background

jennybogAugust 11, 2012

Hi Everyone, I have a dilemma. I have a Antique New England cape.The downstairs has 5 rooms that open up to each other.Kitchen opens into breakfast room, that opens into dining room, that opens into living-room.I also have a small bedroom that comes off the dining room.

Right now my kitchen which is very small, has cranberry red cabinets . The living room which is at the other end is also a cranberry red.It has very good balance. The breakfast room is new Harbor Yellow bm,Dining room is a med green.It all goes very nice.All my fabrics work very well together. The problem is that after 9 years I need to repaint and the fabric has become faded. So i would like to update. The issue is.I have always been drawn to a all neutral homes. That way i can add color per season ect.. How do i get out of this color rut.I don't want to make the wrong decision of course.Will I be in shock if go white?Thank you sorry this is so long here is a pic of kitchen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saypoint

I also like neutralish rooms. White white will be to stark against the warm midtones it sounds like you have in the rest of the adjacent areas. An off-white or cream color would be better. With the black cabinet and mid-tones elsewhere, even a gray or beige with a green or yellow undertone in a light value would look whitish in comparison, and might be more historically appropriate.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 8:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
demeron

"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." :)

You don't have to go white with the cabinets. I love white cabinets, but if you don't have a lot of natural light, you might be happier with some gentle color.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Abandoned Mansions
I think abandoned places are so interesting. Even the...
jlc712
Office Desks - Coordinating Styles
Hello all, I'm working on my home office, and I'm excited...
jan_in_wisconsin
HGTV Fixer Upper show
I have been reading in blog land about HGTV's new show...
ratherbesewing
Help me fine tune my living room decor/vignettes (pics)
It has been awhile since I've posted any pics of my...
valinsv
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™