Please help me pick my pendants

isixpackuJune 20, 2014

We are trying to make the final push to finish the kitchen and picking pendants and a fixture for over the breakfast table, which I have no ideas on yet, is one of the last things we have left. I would love to get opinions on pendants.

For those you not familiar with my kitchen we have typhoon bordeaux granite, a 48" Rachiele copper sink, Waterstone PLP 5500 faucet, and the cabinets are traditional raised panel with mitered doors and a pillowed edge. Below are a couple of pictures.

Here are the two of the pendants I am considering. I have loved the Hudson Valley Darien pendant since I first found it on GW. I would have ordered it weeks ago but I was trying to find a less costly pendant. The other pendant I found recently is visual comfort boston pendant. The Darien pendant is 8" wide while the Boston one is 5 3/4" wide. Our island is 114" long, and we were planning on having three pendants.

Now that the granite is in I am wondering if we should have amber color shades instead of white. Amber shades typically aren't my favorite because of how yellow they are put I wonder if they would look better.

I would appreciate it if you have any opinions to share or any pendants you think would look great.

Here are the pictures.
Hudson Valley Darien:

Visual Comfort Boston:

Kitchen:

Granite/backsplash/faucet laying on side:

Cabinet color:

The inspiration picture for the HV Darien pendants:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momdr1010

Hi, I love your kitchen! It's going to be beautiful when it's done. I love your choices of pendants. I would not go with amber shades, since you are not a fan of the look anyway. It will give off a yellowish cast, too. I actually like the visual comfort Boston. I like the shape of the shade, and classic design in the hardware. I know it is smaller, but I think you will be fine if you are planning on having 3 of them over your counter. Good luck with the rest of your renovation!! Lookin' good.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:31AM
lmsscs

I really like the darien. I too have picked out a HV pendent and to be honest I tried a cheaper version first and it didn't even compare. I'm delaying my pendent purchase a little bit to be able to get the one I really like.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 2:21PM
lcskaisgir

Love the Darien ones. They will look great in your kitchen!

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 8:27PM
romy718

When I looked at the initial pics, Ithought the Visual Comfort, Boston pendant. But, I love your inspiration pic with the three Darien pendants.
Is your island large enough to accomodate three of them? If yes, go for it!

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 12:03AM
greenhaven

I like them both, but the deciding consideration for me would be the ultimate effect: the Darien feels sharper, edgier, a little more modern, and the Boston softer, more traditional.

So take that as you may, maybe it will give you the final perspective you need to tie it together.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 7:39AM
isixpacku

Thanks for your input everyone. I ordered the Darien pendants but am second guessing my choice. My kitchen is more traditional, and although I love the Darien, it may not be the right choice for my kitchen.

Part of what drew me to pick the Darien was the larger size (8" vs 5 3/4") and that it comes with a stem kit. The Boston pendants are 44.5" long unless you custom order them for an additional $88 each. At 44.5" long, they would be 37.5" off our countertops, which are 38" tall. My husband and I are both 6' tall, and it think I would want the pendants to be a little higher up, probably around 40", to feel like they aren't in my face but I don't know for sure. Our ceilings are 10' high. How high off the counters would you have the pendants in our case?

I also am trying to pick a fixture for over the breakfast table but am not finding anything I love. Here are two fixtures I am considering. What are your thoughts on how these would work with either pendant? Any suggestions of something different to look at?

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 3:52AM
More Discussions
Do your pendants swing?
I am putting pendants over my kitchen island. I will...
zorroslw1
Proximity of Sink to pantry wall - how to avoid water damage?
I currently have just enough space for a 12 inch counter/cabinet...
sl4321
Resurrecting kitchen project Part II
My husband’s kitchen deadline is still May, but it...
margo456
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
Cooktop in Island - love it or hate it?
I am leaning towards our cooktop in the island. Some...
muskoka_mum
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™