Can you recommend a small, electric cheese grater?

Madeline616June 21, 2013

Hi guys,

X posting in Cooking. Hoping some of you gadget enthusiasts may have a suggestion for me.

I'm looking for a small, easy to clean (with as many dishwasher safe parts as possible) electric cheese grater.

I need it to grate hard Parmesan cheese, into a very fine texture (like the size of large grains of sand or fine gravel).

I've been using the Magic Bullet, but it burns out quickly, is incredibly noisy, and just doesn't operate that smoothly for the Parmesan. It's easy to clean, though, with the plastic dome fitting easily into the DW upper rack (the blade part I hand wash).

I know the Salad Shooter grates, but the long thin shreds it makes aren't what I'm going for.

I'm looking for something small, because when just a couple of us are eating, I don't want to pull out the big food processor to grate just 1/2 cup or so of cheese.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Madeline :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycbluedevil

Won't a Microplane work?

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 8:58AM
Madeline616

Hi NYC,

Yes, and I do use one in some instances. I guess when I'm doing 1/2 cup a microplane is sufficient. Maybe I use the electric when I'm going for 3/4-1 cup.

In looking for electric recommendations for the times when I need a little more cheese a lot more quickly, but don't need enough cheese (or have the time) to haul out the big food processor.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 9:06AM
nycbluedevil

I suggested it because I do a half cup with it all the time. Do you have a vitamix perhaps?

Sorry, I am a sworn enemy of single purpose electrics so I'm not much use on this one. I even use a manual coffee grinder for our non-Nespresso weekend days!

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 9:19AM
Madeline616

Lol, NYC, thanks for your suggestions!

I didn't know there was such thing as a manual coffee grinder. I guess that eliminates problems with burning the beans (I've read that son electric grinders can get too hot and produce burned, bitter coffee).

I try to keep the single-purpose electric gadgets to a minimum, too...we're just cheese-aholics in this house.

I do have a BlendTec, which may do the trick.

Thanks again :)

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 9:27AM
writersblock

>I even use a manual coffee grinder for our non-Nespresso weekend days!

Nycbluedevil, which one do you have?

Sorry for the OT, Madeline616. My current cheap electric not-a-burr-grinder would do cheese, but it has no immersible parts except the lid, so would be too much trouble to clean, I think.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 12:36PM
nycbluedevil

I have the Kyocera. Perfect--it's tiny, has a lid for the glass jar to store any leftovers, goes in the DW and only cost $50. Cheapest burr grinder out there, I think.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
Can you use IKEA base cabinets as wall cabinets?
Wanting something larger for over-the-fridge than their...
lookintomyeyes83
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Sponsored Products
Perfect Portion Pasta Server
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Pyramid Grater
$36.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™