New baseboards and final floor coat - which first?

seosmpJune 24, 2013

Hi,

I had new hardwood floors installed on my entire first level. The stain, sealer and first clear coat are done.

I'm also replacing the baseboards/shoe (going to 5 1/4") - these are ripped out already (door trim will be replaced as well to 3.5").

So my question is - is it better to do the final clear coat on the floor first and then install the new baseboards/shoe, or should I have the baseboard/shoe installed first, then the final floor coat? Or do the baseboards now, then the shoe when the floor is finally done? The flooring guys said to do the baseboards now but I have a friend who said the flooring guys got the clear coat on her nice baseboards when she built the house. I also don't want paint on my nice new floors though either!

Note the floor won't be done until after the kitchen is done (to ensure the floor will look good when it's all done).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OldTimeCarpenter1

Generally, we do the final floor coat, then the baseboards -- for the reason you indicated, it keeps the floor finish off the baseboards. Otherwise, you have to mask the basboards, which is just more work.. If the floors were done right, you won't need a shoe -- unless, of course, you just like the look.

Wood floors should get a sealer coat and two finish coats.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 10:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seosmp

Thanks!

After the second / final finish coat is done (which will be done when the kitchen is done), the floor will have gotten a sealer coat and two finish coats.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
What do you think of this idea for IKEA Sektion door fronts?
I am going to put in IKEA cabinets and it don't like...
enduring
Tile experts - anyone know who makes this tile
We want to put it on a fireplace wall. I saw it in...
loves2cook4six
Would soapstone work for me?
I currently have Cambria quartz and like it, but don't...
Butternut
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™