Different Backsplash materials

meyersdvmJune 18, 2013

Now it is my turn to obsess over backsplash options. I have at least 10 samples that were either too busy, too white, etc. We ran into issues after templating and laying out my material for vein matching with a laminated edge. Unfortunately there were no more slabs in this light color of Prada Gold to be had. The baking center under the window will still have a 6 cm edge and the granite will run flush into the window as the sill material.

Since I have two different heights and wanted to further differentiate the range wall from the window wall, I am considering using a full height granite backsplash under my cabs on the range wall and painting or doing a subtle paintable wallpaper for the splash on the window wall. I do not have enough material left to do a full height splash on the window wall, too. If I use a single material such as a creamy subway tile, there will be a step in the splash where the two different counter heights meet.

My granite is busy and I love it. I don't want another pattern to compete with it, even if the color is a good match. The splash would not extend past the cabinet at the end of the run even though the counter does.

Thoughts TKOers? Thanks for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellendi

I don't like the idea of granite behind the range wall because you have the stove with the high back.
You have two issue to address. For arguments sake, if you pick a subway tile, I don't think it will be an issue on the two different heights.
On the range wall, take the tiles to the end of the counter. Top with a bullnose tile. Put a picture, or even decorative shelves in that space.
I just can't see how you will end the granite if you use it on that wall.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:58AM
meyersdvm

Ellen- Thanks for the reply. I am not a fan of a backsplash without a cabinet over it, so I will have the granite fabricator polish and round/bevel the edge so it stops at the edge of the cabinets. The peninsula will just have the painted wall.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 10:48AM
jennifer11203

Love the color of your granite. What color is it?

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 11:20AM
meyersdvm

Jennifer- the granite is Prada Gold. It is usually much darker, but I happened to find some creamier slabs. I was totally set on using Danby marble until I saw this and preferred the warm tones.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 12:50PM
jennifer11203

Its beautiful.. I saw a similar one this weekend that I fell in love with.. im not sure of the name.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 1:04PM
meyersdvm

That looks very similar! I love that one, too ;)

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Has anyone heard of/used Hominter?
Our new house build is proceeding and while we haven't...
beckysharp
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
What does it take to become a kitchen designer?
I know there were posts on the subject several years...
sjerin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™