Show me your mixed metals!

gothamlJune 7, 2014

We are going to have a stainless steel vent hood and an antique brass chandelier, but I am having trouble finding pictures of what it would look like. I would love to see photos of mixed metals in your kitchens.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty_cakes

I don't consider SS appliances a 'metal' that needs consideration when decorating, nor would I if I had made the choice to use black or white appliances. In new homes a lot of nickel/faux nickel is used for hardware such as hinges/doorknobs, cabinet hardware, towel bars, and of course light fixtures. If you want to use a metal that has more of an old world/ antique look, consider the oiled rubbed bronze. It's what I chose, with most of the light fixtures being wrought iron, with the exception of chandeliers. The dark WI with dark ORB work well together with very little contrast, which was what I wanted. Yes, various metal can work well together, but if you're considering uniformity, keep them in the same 'color family'~silver, using nickel/ pewter/chrome, shiny brass which can be used nicely with aged brass, aged brass using orb/ rusted look, or black using wrought iron. I may have left out a few others found in the marketplace today, but these quickly come to mind since they're the most commonly used.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 4:39PM
patty_cakes

Here's an article that comes from Houzz. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: metal finishes

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 4:45PM
chispa

If you look at kitchen photos on Houzz you will see a wide variety of mixed metals. You need to look at the photos and only concentrate on the metal finishes ... usually you look at the total picture and won't even notice that the metals match or don't match!!!! This is also a personal and taste specific detail, so you'll get different opinions.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
What to put above kitchen window
I would like some help in finding a unique piece of...
zorroslw1
Kitchen window or no?
We are planning our new home. I am a difficult time...
kymberie
My Kitchen Renovation Using Scherr's RTA Cabinets Begins
We start demolition on Monday. We have been actively...
homechef59
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™