Powder Coated Island Range Hood?

sreedesqJune 18, 2013

I am going to purchase an Imperial Island Range Hood (Model IS2000) during my kitchen remodel. I will have black granite counters and stainless appliances mixed with some black accents (wall oven and cooktop) and a solid stainless fridge and dishwasher. The stainless that Imperial offers is high grade 304 and I have no doubt that it would look nice; but, I am leaning toward choosing the option to powder coat the stainless in black. I think it would disappear more into the kitchen while also providing balance with the counters. Has anyone one purchased, seen, or cleaned one of these range hood? If so, what are your thoughts? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Holly- Kay

I am thinking of powder coating my range hood as well. It is an XO and I like everything about it except the stainless finish because it is so dull looking.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 10:10AM
live_wire_oak

Black objects have a lot of visual weight, and putting one overhead can be very in your face. I think you should spray paint a cardboard box black and hang it overhead before you go down that path. I think it will loom more and be much more closing in than the reflective stainless. Unless you also paint your ceiling black so that the hood disappears against it. That could work, but would need much more attention to the lighting plan with additional lighting added.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 10:51AM
sreedesq

Live, I really appreciate your thoughts. Due to placement, the hood will block part of a large bay window that is the only window in the kitchen when one is entering the kitchen from the great room and hallway. Sink is in front of window and cooktop is behind sink in island with hood overhead. There are six very large recessed lights, 3 undercabinet lights, and one over sink light in addition to the halogen lighting the hood will provide. Since there is open sight from the kitchen to great room and dining room, I wouldn't paint the ceiling black. I too, worry about the visual impact of a hood; but, at this stage I'm not sure which would look the best black or stainless. I will try the black cardboard. I hope someone else here has experience with a large island hood in front of a window or powder coating in general! Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 11:10AM
honorbiltkit

Arlosmom had a range hood cover crafted and powdercoated for her smashing period kitchen.

Cheeers.

Here is a link that might be useful: arlosmom's kitchen

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:19PM
sreedesq

Thanks! I think the hood and her kitchen look great!

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:31PM
parsnips

Hi there,
Just thought I'd post this photo of a stainless steel dishwasher panel that we just had powder coated to match our fridge. The color was discontinued by the manufacturer, even though the fridge was only two years old when the matching dishwasher decided to die! So we bought a stainless one and hoped for the best with the powder coater. The powder coater had several samples pieces of coated metal that we brought home to see what was the best match, as their colors are just stock colors. $200 for powder coating, done in a day, and it turned out really well.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
Kitchen/House Reveal - DIY with Scherr's RTA. Better late then never
I have been meaning to post here for years but I really...
toddimt
Resurrecting kitchen project Part II
My husband’s kitchen deadline is still May, but it...
margo456
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
need help laying out a 9 x 13 open concept kitchen in a bungalow.
We recently purchased a 950 sq ft 2 bedroom cottage/bungalow....
taj0418
Sponsored Products
Magis | Flux Stacking Chair, Set of 4
YLiving.com
Broan 30-inch Stainless Steel Traditonal European Chimney Wall Hood
Overstock.com
VWW 5050 Single Row CC LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Wall Spot Retro Outdoor Wall
Lightology
Large Ornate Dinner Bell with Scroll - Black Powder Coat
Signature Hardware