How important is a dishwasher cabinet?

steph2000June 16, 2013

I keep trying to chip away at the little details while avoiding the big picture, so...

I don't know if I've ever had a dishwasher cabinet in any of the kitchens I've ever operated in. Are they important? Do they serve some kind of purpose I am clueless about? Or, are they really unnecessary?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lascatx

If your DW is at the end of a run, you need something to finish off the side. I don't know that it has to be a full cabinet though. Otherwise, I can't think why you need a cabinet. Mine are in 24" wide openings between two other cabinets.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 12:22AM
williamsem

I've always had a 24 in opening, no cabinet. Wasn't even discussed when I placed the order for my new cabinets. I can understand a panel if at the end of a run...maybe that's where it might be a reasonable option for stone counters? Not sure.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 12:38AM
catbuilder

Do you have a single dish drawer? You need a cabinet for that.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 8:00AM
kksmama

I hope this isn't a threadjack, but it made me think. We are replacing cabinets and all appliances except the Kenmore dishwasher (it is only 3 years old and looks good, works well). I'll be happy if I get another 3 years, surprised if I get 5. Having 2 dish drawers will probably be better for our lifestyle in the future (fewer children at home). Is there something I can do now, in the design of our kitchen, that will make it easy to change later?

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 8:14AM
Angie_DIY

I never heard of a dishwasher cabinet until the thread linked below, which has info of interest to you:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lucas_tx's install

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 4:08PM
lucas_tx_gw

This thread also discusses the reasons we elected to use it, which again, might not apply to everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about fillers, DW cab. etc.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 4:45PM
catbuilder

kksmama,

It depends if you mean a double dish drawer, or two single drawers (usually flanking the sink). A double one is freestanding and goes in the same space as a regular dishwasher. The downside to this arrangement is that the lower drawer is VERY low. Single drawers need a cabinet with a built-in shelf. You can have a cabinet sized for this, and for now put in a regular drawer. When you want to switch it out, you just remove the drawer and install the dish drawer. I don't like the way the dish drawers work, so I did the opposite (took out the dish drawer and installed a regular drawer in its place).

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:37PM
kksmama

Thank you catbuilder. I'll just leave our design alone for now. Our children are growing up and out, the dw that used to run as often as10x per week is sometimes down to 5x, maybe it will last twice as long!

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
HELP - need to pick a floor stain by tomorrow!
Hi, I'm struggling to pick a floor stain from the samples...
seosmp
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Sponsored Products
Virtu UM-3089-G-WH-001 63 Columbo White Single Sink Bathroom Vanity
Blue Bath
Rochester Collection Cabinet Pull
Signature Hardware
Baltimore Orioles Food Caddy
$17.99 | zulily
2 Inch Tesla LED IC-New Construction Airtight Housing - 277 volt by WAC Lighting
$153.00 | Lumens
Beige p208be AstraGranite Kitchen Sink
PLFixtures
Hampton Bay 3-Light White Round Under-Cabinet Halogen Lights EC5930WH
$22.97 | Home Depot
Empire 5-3/4 Inch Stainless Steel Finish Cabinet Bar Pull Handle
eModern Decor
65-Piece Euro Hammered Flatware Service
$184.90 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™