Will oiling darken soapstone veins?

shellyfitzJune 21, 2014

So, I am loving my new soapstone counters and am oiling them daily as instructed. My question is for you soapstone veterans out there. Will the oil cause a darkening of the beautiful white veins that I chose my stone for?
There is a corner that is much darker, where there is no white at all, all the variation in this area is green. The installer says this is where the stone has been oiled over and over while at the yard...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

No.
Casey

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 9:59AM
plllog

The veins are almost definitely quartz. Oil shouldn't stain them, but if you build up layer after layer of oil, the oil itself can yellow or darken even if it started out clear. It's not a common occurrence, but it can, especially if there's a lot of sun on it. If it becomes unattractive, just give it a gentle scrub with Dawn or any grease cutter. You can do the same with your dark corner. Scrub off the old oil, and reapply, though it would be easier to do that whole stretch of counter than just a spot, where you could get a line between old and new.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 3:30PM
joygreenwald

Omg, I LOVE your counter. Does that soapstone have a name? Where did you get it? (I'm counter obsessed right now.)

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:27PM
shellyfitz

Thank you, the soapstone is from Sierra Soapstone Sacramento, Ca.. They call it "cinza verde". I really love the dramatic veins : )

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 11:00PM
enduring

What Casey says. Some soapstone has a green color. There is no association with oil and the lack of white in the section of your counter.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 11:22PM
Mags438

Your soapstone is beautiful. I love the large veins and large quartz spots too. I have a very similar looking soapstone (anastacia) and I was attracted to the large veins too. When oiled, they really pop!

I'm wondering the opposite as you. During recent install, one coat of mineral oil was applied to countertops. I was liking them dry so I've been refraining from oiling in hopes of getting the original blue-gray back without sanding. Anyone know if that's possible?

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 8:39AM
srosen

First I think the white veins are pure talc as that is what comprises soapstone.
Karin could answer that better however.
The oil wont darken the white veining.It will deepen the color of the stones surface.
Keep in mind the oil is sitting on the surface.
Thinking of the surface as a microscopic English muffin will help you picture it.
The oil is living in the nooks and crannies.
You need to keep oiling because mineral oil evaporates.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 2:42PM
Mags438

The white veins are quartz.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 6:14PM
leela4

Mags-Try what plllog suggested above-use Dawn or any other grease cutter (I've also used Lysol Kitchen cleaner). We haven't oiled ever in almost four years.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 6:36PM
aptosca

There are a few threads on keeping soapstone un-oiled. It comes down to stripping the natural oils, etc., that collect through daily use. I've linked one of the threads.

The approach seems to be to start with something mild and use something stronger (all the way to acetone) if the milder stuff doesn't work. This matches what one of the vendors told me (the one I'm most inclined to trust.)

I can't speak from first hand experience. I'm just short of the order stage so install is a ways away. But I do want to keep mine gray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Could I Keep the Soapstone Grey?

This post was edited by aptos_ca on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 23:23

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 7:19PM
Mags438

Thanks leela and aptos. Thought I had read everything here on ss, missed that one.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 1:42AM
More Discussions
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Can anybody plz recommend a custom cabinetmaker in South Denver area?
Hello! This is my first time posting; I'm in the first...
ponderosafarm
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
WWYD with this area?
This area was designated as "dog cubbie"...
debrak_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™