River White Granite or Quartz Mix?

mbtsJune 8, 2013

My head is spinning trying to figure out countertops. We will have a white/off white perimeter with a cherry island (stained either walnut or mahogany). Trying to decide if river white granite everywhere is the way to go or perhaps a bolder granite on the island and a very subtle quartz on the perimeter (beige or light faux marble).

River white is attached.(would probably do this everywhere)
Also considering bianco romano or alaska white island with a pental lattice quartz perimeter.

Plan on doing a nice backsplash too...probably more options for that if I choose a simple quartz rather than granite on perimeter.

Any input would be appreciate!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bacin0

Like you, my perimeter is soft white and the island is cherry. I went with River White granite over all cabinets. I love the way the lines flow in the river white and the little specks of garnet really pick up the cherry in the cabinets. While it is not a bold granite, I think that adding another granite to it would be too busy and detract from it. I get lots of positive comments on it.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 4:12PM
ginny20

That's pretty granite. I also like River White with cherry - but your cherry is going to be stained dark, right? Nevertheless. I think any of the granites you're considering would look good. Aesthetically, it's just a matter of which you like best, which pattern best passes your Sweeby test. Functionally, you might want to test samples of the ones in the running to see whether they stain easily.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 9:18PM
raee_gw

I love River White; in fact I had ordered my quartz, but ever since I saw River White I am debating making a change.
I don't know anything about its durability compared to other granites.
In a layout like you describe, though, I would be inclined to use it throughout. It has just enough pattern but not too much IMO--but I really dislike very bold, busy granites.

Bacin0, I would love to see a picture of yours!

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?
I think dark hardwood floors look beautiful with off...
peemps
37" or 30" cooktop?
I was planning on a 30" induction cooktop which...
12crumbles
am I being too picky?
Ok, is my perfectionism is out of control..... I bought...
bicyclegirl1
Best mid (low?) range painted cabinet: Kemper, Medallion, Home Crest
Love this forum and would love to know anyone's experience...
fourquinn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™