Sample sample backsplash sample overload!

hyjenistMay 26, 2014

I'll admit I'm a backsplash sample flousie! I keep thinking the next one will be a better fit. We are at the end of our budget and would hate to make a costly mistake! So I just keep looking. What do I do with all these unwanted samples?? Ready for this project to be over.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hyjenist

I keep going back to this.....

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:15PM
feisty68

The sample above looks good. What about white-glazed thin brick? I think that could connect with both your uppers and lowers. Your kitchen is looking great!

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 2:28AM
EAM44

Glazed thin brick would be beautiful, but it is not generally considered budget friendly.

What is your budget in $/sf?

I really like larger format non-traditional subway tile like the one you've chosen above. Another of my favorite looks is classic subway, of which you have many samples, laid out in a herringbone pattern. With a gorgeous layout, you may have already found your tile in there somewhere.

You could always paint the wall and catch your breath a bit.

I hope you find something you love.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 7:00AM
localeater

hygenist, I am taking my sample tiles and using them to tile my birdfeeder post. I like your sample #2 (from the left) for a little color in your backsplash.
Can you tell me what the samples in the photo are? I am particularly interested in 3, 4, and 5 from the left.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 8:18AM
hyjenist

Just ordered a sample of the white glazed brick! Thanks for the suggestions. Kind of hoping I do not like it.....due to the higher cost.
I know some types of backsplash materials have higher installation cost, would brick be one of them??

Localeater 3,4,5 all come from fireclay-awesome tree hugging company;) tile samples foggy morning, shiitake, silver haze.

Thanks for all the help. I've learned so much through this website!

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 9:16PM
EAM44

Installation costs should be comparable. Fireclay recommends Laticrete products, so specify that mortar, pointing, and caulk be Laticrete in your contract.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 9:27PM
a2gemini

hyjenist - we have all been there - I have about 100 tiles in the basement - Fortunately did not discover FireClay until my decision was made as we were over budget already.
If you are near A2, I am willing to share my collection.

Overall - I like the lighter versions with that beautiful soapstone and white cabinets.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 9:11AM
hyjenist

Thanks for the suggestion of glazed brick. I ordered some samples of Fireclay's cotton/snow thin brick and think I've found my match! I love it! Of course it's 3X the price of my original choice but I'm going to stay here in ABB world until I can afford it! Thanks Again GW.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 10:49AM
romy718

Love the glazed brick. It will be worth the wait. Two color samples in your pic?

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 11:52AM
hyjenist

Yes two color samples. We will most likely use the majority of cotton with a few snow bricks. Similar to the photo fireclay sent me.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Anyone bought a sink from www.seamlesssinks.com?
http://www.seamlesssink.com/ledge-galley-sinks.html much...
Dietitian
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Help with kitchen mat-awkward area. Custom?
What we would ideally like is a mat with a 45 degree...
akl_vdb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™