Cleaning 3D backsplash tile

czarinalexMay 15, 2013

I'm going in about 10 different directions regarding our backsplash. I got a sample of this 3D effect marble tile and I kind of like it. It gets installed without grout!
I'm worried about cleaning it though... does anyone have something similar and can give some insight on upkeep?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

You don't clean it really. I mean, you sorta clean at it, but you never get those spaghetti sauce spatters out of the crevices. And any tile that doesn't get filled with grout, gets filled with dirt and yuck. Grout is used with tile for a reason, and it has nothing to do with decor. It's functional. And going without it is a very very bad idea. As is that tile in a kitchen. Or bath. And that doesn't leave too many locations where it would be appropriate.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andreak100

Hmmm, nope, not really a chance I would want to use that for a backsplash - if you cook at all, you'll be at it with a toothbrush all the time trying to get it clean and it will never really get there. You are so very right to be concerned about cleaning it.

In our early parts of planning, I had someone at a design place show me a dimensional tile like that and he was so pleased, saying how wonderful it would look in kitchens. I stopped him dead when I asked if he included a cleaning service for the life of the kitchen because that's what it would require for me to put something in my kitchen was was so cleaning-unfriendly.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
what granite edge did you choose and why
Templating took 5+ hours over 2 days and now I have...
bostonpam
Bungalow galley kitchen layout
Hello GW'ers! I'm new to the forum and have been so...
motok1w
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
My two tone kitchen reveal sans backsplash
My kitchen is finally finished! Well, except for the...
fishymom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™