layout ideas? re-starting from scratch
So, we've planned and re-planned and now need to start again with something more basic. We have decided to spend less that we had originally budgeted so we need to scale back.
Our house is a small 1970s split level home. You enter on the main level which is essentially just a 20' x 26' box that includes the LR, DR, and K. Our kitchen is a wide galley, we eat meals in the DR.
1) A better marriage between the kitchen and dining room and living room. We don't want a totally open floor plan with one large room with kitchen in one corner though if that makes sense.
2) An uninterrupted (no sink or range) island or peninsula with counter height seating for at least 3, preferably 4. We'd like the seating to turn a corner for conversation purposes. I am loving the idea of a round kitchen island end but I'm not sure that is feasible in our small space (http://www.houzz.com/photos/369949/The-Woodshop-of-Avon-traditional-kitchen-minneapolis).
3) To gain a bit of cabinet space
4) New appliances: CD fridge, slide in gas range, OTR microwave (unless we can find a space for one below the countertop and not break the bank with a hood), dishwasher
1) The sink and range need to stay on the wall they are on currently. We can move them along the wall, but not off that wall (which includes all the plumbing and gas for the house).
2) The window is low -- we cannot run a counter height cabinet underneath it.
1) We have talked about closing off the doorway near the stairs to give us additional cabinet space. We would open up that wall sooner -- basically, the wall would just run to the end of the door opening and then open up...
2) We can definitely bleed into the dining room space a bit. We envision having a narrow (30" farmhouse) dining table up against the far wall that we can pull out when we need it for family/friends.
I am attaching a graphic of our current layout and would love to hear you guys throw out any and all ideas and inspiration you might have.
Thanks a zillion.