Do You Really need a Backsplash

nikmikMay 3, 2013

I was going to wait awhile before I install a backsplash but then my carpenter said that I would need one behind the sink so the water doesn't destroy the cabinet.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to install anything until I live with my new kitchen. If I have to temporarily install a backsplash any suggestions there? Also, if I went with a 2" granite bs, is it hard to take it off once I decide?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Does he not understand how to use a caulking gun? As long as the wall is painted with a good scrubbable paint and the joint between the counter and wall is caulked, it will be fine for a while. After all, caulk is what will go there between any granite backsplash and the counter, or any tile backsplash and the counter. The caulk is what works to keep the water from going behind the cabinet, not the granite or tile.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:04PM
judeNY

What hollysprings said.

I postponed a backsplash for "later" about 8 years ago when my kitchen was otherwise finished. Turns out I like the simplicity of the painted wall and don't intend to tile it. I am sorry I didn't do a 2" granite backsplash as a permanent thing but I would not do it if you are going to rip it out later.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:33PM
mpagmom

The 2" backsplash could be expensive as a temporary solution. I didn't want a backsplash but had to have one because the gap between the granite and wall was too big for caulk. Try to make sure you get a tight fit. By the time I saw the gap on mine (it was covered with brown paper during construction) it was too late to fix it.

In a previous kitchen I didn't get around to the backsplash in eight years. There was no caulk and the cabinets were fine. I guess I don't throw buckets of water at my wall.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Carrara tile backsplash with carrara countertop
I found a few images in the photos section of houzz,...
crl_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™