How do you know if a pendent is to large for the area?

marioncohen1May 6, 2013

I just recieved in the mail my Restoration Hardware Benson 7 inches diamater pendents. I am sad because they look to large to go over my small bar which will be 66inches long and 24 inches wide. I was planning on only using two pendents and love this look but may have to reconsider more of a cone pendent. Does anyone know of a company that makes the Benson looking pendent smaller?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Holly- Kay

I am wondering the same thing. I bought a 10 1/2" diameter light to go over my small island, but I don't care for the looks of a small single pendant. I purposely only bought one even though I need something for over my sink as well. When my first one comes in I will decide if I should put it over the island, the sink, or if it is too big maybe use it to replace my foyer light.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:09PM
laurajane02

My island is 4' x 4.5' . I also wanted those pendants but my island is too small for them. I ended up choosing the George pendant from Rejuvenation.

Here is a link that might be useful: George pendant

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 11:29PM
cathy725

I have two 8" pendant lights over my new peninsula that is about the same size as your bar. I do have a cabinet at the end of the peninsula, but the pendants look just fine, and not too big. I basically have 12", pendant (8), 12", pendant, 12" cabinet. (measuring from end of peninsula back toward wall). It looks good.

My GC said they were too big, but DH put one up and then we measured (our issue was the one had to be far enough away from cabinet so door wouldn't hit it). I loved my lights so we went for it. I am happy.

Have you done the balloon on a string mock-up? That will help you visualize the spacing and size.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 8:41AM
breezygirl

I was going to suggest the George pendant also. They're about 5" wide, customizable for metal and shade color, and are very cute IRL.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:18AM
Holly- Kay

So would a 10" pendant over a 36" sink be too big?

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
Scullery...
What are your thoughts about a scullery? A place to...
lavender_lass
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™