choosing a double oven

MedservantMay 7, 2014

We're replacing a double oven that's old and tired. After looking at various brands, we've pretty much settled on a DCS/Fisher & Paykel. Has anyone had any experience with this oven? Our 10-yr-old Fisher & Paykel gas cooktop has served us very well. Other brands we're considering are Viking, Wolf, and Thermadore. We have family members who have both Thermadore and Dacor and have discouraged us from those brands due to unreliability and poor performance. The salesman told us Thermadore underwent a quality alteration about six years ago ... experience, anyone? Also, we were discouraged by two different appliance retailers from purchasing Viking because of service issues. Both claimed they've had difficulty getting parts and customer service from Viking. Again, I'm interested in the experiences of others! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EAM44

I have never used the DCS, but it was my first oven crush. They use it on the Americas Test Kitchen TV show on PBS. The ovens look gorgeous and there is an iconic wall of ovens that has to be seen to be believed! Their racks look amazing, and the controls - so simple and elegant. Enjoy yours in the best of health!

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 11:49PM
buehl

I suggest posting this question on the Appliances Forum.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 2:19AM
ck_squared

We just put in a Thermador double oven in our remodel and have been using it fairly regularly since December. It's been great for us so far but who knows what a year or two will bring. We worked with a fantastic appliance company in our area that is well-regarded so I'm not worried about getting repairs if necessary (I've never ever ever had to have an appliance repair person out to our house - 20+ years).

One of the things that sold us on the Thermador ovens is the soft-close doors. They are one of the best features IMO!

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 8:19AM
Medservant

Thanks so much for the feedback - it really is helpful! To ck_squared: that Thermadore feature really is impressive! How many times my old oven door has slammed shut, causing me to fear for the glass insert in its door! I'm sure you'll enjoy your oven for years to come! To buehl: I'm new to this website (love it for the forums), so didn't realize there was a better forum I could use. May try that .. thanks! And to EAM44: I appreciate your comments regarding the DCS. I did realize America's Test Kitchen uses them, and I, too, like the simplicity of their look .. that's one thing that's selling me. The other thing is the fact that there's no electronic control panel - I prefer to do my own settings. And I love those racks! This is probably the oven we'll buy .. thanks for your well wishes!

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
Almost Finished Pics - long time coming...
I'm still waiting to finish up some small details -...
aokat15
Mixing finishes
Appliances are white with brushed stainless handles...
oasisowner
Zephyr Monsoon I or Air King LIN34 600 CFR Range Hood Insert??
I am ready to buy a range hood insert for my kitchen....
Kenneth House
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™