Know where to get shelf bracket like this one?

mc510May 12, 2011

This Sugatsune shelf bracket (the 10" one) is about $100 a pop .... I'm sure it's beautiful, but that's a bit out of my range. I can't find anything similar, though, from any other manufacturer! It must be out there; can anyone suggest something similar?

Doesn't have to be stainless steel like the Sugatsune; I'd actually prefer polished nickle or chrome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugasune shelf bracket

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's unclear from your post exactly how you're going to use these brackets but here's a link to Lee Valley Hardware. They have a two similar units.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley

    Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 8:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

thanks willtv ... to try to answer your question, I'm planning to use these brackets to support a couple of small decorative shelves (maybe 11" deep and 24" long) in the kitchen. They won't be carrying a whole lot of weight. What I like about the Sugatsune bracket is that there's no diagonal support, giving a cleaner look that I like. The Lee Valley Hardware ones sure are (much!) more reasonably priced, but they have a diagonal support that I don't want. Somehow, though, I can't find anything similar to the Sugatsune at any price, much less at the more budget-y kind of price that I'm hoping for.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 5:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

mc510, I suspected by the looks of the bracket you want that you're trying to eliminate the diagonal. I conducted a quick Google search and the only things I found were from manufacturers, primarily from China, who have a 5,000 piece minimum.
My guess is that exceeds your need.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 7:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What about one of these from Federal Brace?


The first one is the Forma Steel and the second is the Streamline. From my understanding of the pricing, they run between $30 - $40 each if you order 3 or more.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 8:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ah, good find remodelfla; I never came across Federal Brace in all of my googling. It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but unfortunately I think that these have a bit more industrial/commercial-kitchen style than appropriate for my kitchen. (FWIW, the kitchen has white painted shaker cabinets and Amerock "Highland Ridge" pulls and round knobs.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Amerock

    Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 12:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not exactly what you were looking for, but I've used the EKBY BJARNUM shelf brackets from ikea in my office. The deepest you can get is 11" I think. The shelf slips into the bracket. You can use any type of 11" shelf you choose. They're only $15 per pair.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea EKBY BJARNUM shelf brackets

    Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 5:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm searching old threads........someone posted a while back about one that was able to be grooved into the wallboard and then tiled over. Sound familiar anyone?

    Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 7:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I remember a thread about shelf where the hardware was recessed into the drywall, but I don't remember the tiled over part. I think the thread was something about...does a shelf like this exist anywhere. Or something like that. Someone was looking for shelving where there wasn't any mounting hardware exposed.

    Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 9:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

jenhp, i know i said that the shelves wouldn't have much weight on them, but i think i'd be concerned that those ikea brackets couldn't carry enough weight (what with that very short mounting surface on the wall). how do you have them mounted in your office (through sheetrock, into stud?), and how solid do they seem?

    Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 12:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We used self tapping drywall molly bolts/anchors into the drywall. Works great! Very solid. You can get mollies rated for 30 or 50 lbs. I use them all around the house and have never had a problem yet. I certainly wouldn't trust it to just a screw into drywall. If I were lucky enough to have a stud where I wanted a shelf, I'd use a long screw into a stud. But since that is rare, it's mollies most of the time.

I get ones like this in the link at Home Depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Self drilling drywall anchor

    Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 8:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can get the bracket your looking for at the link at bottom, likely elsewhere on the net.
Hafele has some hardware that can be completely hidden in the wall for shelves- a bit tricky to engineer the shelve and install
Showplace has "floating" shelves that install with no visible brackets but are a minimum of 2 1/4" thick. I have them in our office display and have used them in kitchens. Not to bad to install.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugastsune bracket

    Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 6:40PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Carrara tile backsplash with carrara countertop
I found a few images in the photos section of houzz,...
Polished chrome and polished nickel fixtures in same kitchen?
This is what I get for not figuring everything out...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™