It prayers for Oklahoma City and surrounding areas

Holly- KayMay 20, 2013

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people affected by the horrific tornados. It truly puts the demo that took place here today in perspective. I am grateful to have dining tables and a utility sink to help us get through when so many have nothing left but the clothes on their backs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flwrs_n_co

I've been watching and praying all afternoon. One of my sons lives in Shawnee, OK and was spared from yesterday's tornado as it passed north of his home. The Moore tornado is so much worse and the devastation difficult to wrap one's mind around.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:56PM
Holly- Kay

I didn't know about it until I got home from work. It is so sad. I am so glad your son is ok. Hugs to you.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:27PM
Holly- Kay

I didn't know about it until I got home from work. It is so sad. I am so glad your son is ok. Hugs to you.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:29PM
a2gemini

I had not heard either. God Bless all of the OC folks - you have endured so much over the years. Sending you positive energy to get you through another disaster.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 9:52PM
psyohe

The same storm has been going over my house for several hours now. Our one window that actually opens is rattling every time the wind blows or lightning strikes. It is pouring right now.

Not that it is really good..... but the only thing good is that OK City almost always gets the tornadoes during daylight hours. You cannot see them at night. That is when they always hit in my area. No sirens where I live either to warn us. Still lots of lightning, wind, and rain.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:28PM
deedles

Do we have any Oklahoma people on this forum? What a disaster.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:29PM
Gooster

My thoughts are with anyone dealing with this tragedy. To all of you in Tornado Alley, stay safe.

The coverage, especially of the elementary school(s) and the first person accounts, is just heartbreaking.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:00PM
nutherokie_gw

On behalf of the OKC/Moore area, thank you sincerely for the prayers and kind wishes. It was south of me, but less than a mile of my brother. His family is fine. But it's heartbreaking to see the many people whose lives have been turned inside out.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:10PM
psyohe

Storm finally stopped here in SE Oklahoma. No tornadoes where I live. Poor OK City gets them worse than we do usually. Daylight hours and warmer. Has anyone heard any more about the missing two dozen students? I hope they find them soon.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:43PM
flwrs_n_co

Peke and Nutherokie, I'm so glad you're safe. My heart is breaking as I watch the coverage and hear the reports from those who lived through it.

Peke, that must be so scary to live where they don't have the sirens. Do you have one of those weather radios that can warn you when severe weather is headed to your area (I think they warn by county)?

Holly-Kay, thank you for the hug! I wish my son could move back to CO, but he has a great job at a wonderful engineering company in OK and has made many good friends. But I can't help worrying when it's spring and these storms start brewing.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:57PM
AnnaA

Glad to hear people chiming in tonight safe and sound - Peke and Nutherokie - yet your past few days sound so terrifying. A local friend there who worked in Moore for many years had debri from Moore shower their property. On pins and needles re friends, as many here are the same I imagine.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:32AM
psyohe

Last year we didn't have much spring rain. This year it looks like we will have a lot. At last report nine children died in the school. Many more are injured. It stormed all night...off and on during the search in Moore.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 3:08PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Prayers for all, and hope. This is not a good thing for our land, but I'm in for whatever I can do to help.
Suzi

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 3:16PM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

My heart goes out to all the parents, spouses, and children of those who lost their lives, and also to all those who have lost their homes and possessions. It's wonderful to hear from our GW members who are safe.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 3:27PM
Holly- Kay

So glad to hear our GW'ers are safe. I am hoping to get some batteries and flashlights to Oklahoma through our church.

I am so heartbroken for all the families affected especially the ones who lost their children.

Peke and Okie, you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 3:44PM
psyohe

Schools are not really designed for tornadoes. I never understood why they do not plan for tornadoes when they design schools. They have us take the children in the halls, sit on knees, put head on floor, and cover heads. Some get to go to the restrooms and sit the same way. Have you ever seen or smelled an elementary school's bathroom?

Maybe that is something we could do. Talk to legislatures about making schools safer in design. Redo front door areas so people cannot get in just because they want to. We all think we should be able to walk into "our" schools, but times have changed. People do crazy things now.

Then build a saferoom in every classroom. More and more other states are getting tornadoes, not just tornado alley. We saw more in other states last year than we had in ok last year.

I just hate to see the children at risk. Peke

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
HELP - need to pick a floor stain by tomorrow!
Hi, I'm struggling to pick a floor stain from the samples...
seosmp
Remodeling my Kitchen - want all the input you can give me
Hi Guys, I have decided to remodel the kitchen of a...
wcutiew
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Sponsored Products
Kidwise Princess Enchanted Castle with Slide Bounce House - KWSS-PR-205
$649.00 | Hayneedle
'Cowboy's Prayer' Wall Sign
$9.99 | zulily
Thomas Kinkade The Garden of Prayer Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
'Share Faith Offer Prayer Gather Hope' Magnet
$6.49 | zulily
Cashmere Bunny Personalized Prayers for My Little Boy Gift Set - PFMLB
$78.99 | Hayneedle