Dark stained cabinets and white pulls: 1880s or 1980s?

chesters_house_gwMay 2, 2013

I'm beginning to settle on details with a kitchen renovation -- a house built in the 1880s, with the kitchen in an addition put on around 1900-1910. I know I want stained cabinets, fairly dark so it will contrast with the woodwork.

Something like this:

Or this stain on oak:

Ever since I missed out on vintage versions of this, I've been thinking about white pulls. A reproduction:

While I've seen a lot of white cabinets with black/ORB hardware, dark cabinets seems to get hardware that blends. Except in "before" pictures of 1980s country kitchens. What is it about this combination that seems wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Circus Peanut

Perhaps it's just that we have no color photos of kitchens from that era! I think it would be stunning, I love milk glass and don't think it would look 1980's on a darker mission-stained oak.

1980's is all honey, honey, honey orange oak with white -- plus the 1980's white handles are ceramic and have little duckies with scarves painted on them.

Gorgeous bin pull -- where's it from?

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 9:20PM
chesters_house_gw

It's from Crown City Hardware -- and not as nasty as I thought the price would be. I have porcelain lights with milk glass shades, so maybe it will all work.

Here is a link that might be useful: pulls

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 11:03PM
Circus Peanut

Well, I think it's a stunning combination, and so much more interesting than the usual polished nickel or oil-rubbed bronze reproductions people are using these days.

I can relate to the anguish of losing out on vintage pieces; I just lost out on the only auction I've seen with my exact 1910 bin pulls, doh! (Mine have the craftsman striped copper flash finish, which is really hard to find.)

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:02AM
chesters_house_gw

Is this the sort of bin pull you're looking for?

With your caution about unusual bits of hardware that someone else snaps up, I went ahead with some porcelain pulls before someone else snagged them.

I should add that the main counters (the kitchen will be partially free standing) will more than likely be metal - stainless or zinc if we're up for a soldering adventure. If the budget runs out, it will be maple.

Here is a link that might be useful: bin pulls

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 6:08PM
motherof3sons

That will be a beautiful kitchen. I love the freestanding concept. Please keep us posted. Do you live in a historical home?

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Kitchen layout...make better use of current space and expand storage!
I'm hoping to get a few ideas on how to improve the...
rowan1099
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™