Draw pulls instead of Appliance pulls?

marioncohen1May 19, 2013

I bought polished chrome pulls for my cabinets. The company does not have matching appliance pulls which I need for my dishwasher which I panelled. The sales women said I should not use the 5 inch pull that they sell because it is not brass. She said if it was made of brass I would be able to use it instead of the appliance pull.

Does anyone have a panelled dishwasher without an appliance pull or a pull thats not made of brass? If so, how is it holding up? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Holly- Kay

I asked about this in an earlier conversation and it seems that a six inch pull is not hefty enough, even if it is brass, as dishwashers seal tightly. A six inch pull is fine for the trash pull out.

I suspect that the finish is polished chrome but the base metal is probably zinc in the pull you have chosen. Can you find an appliance pull that is close in appearance?

I will be interested in what others have to say on this matter. The appliance pull that matches my hardware was ridiculously expensive. I was frustrated to have to pay so much for it.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:54PM
MizLizzie

Dumb question. Does it need to be brass? I had planned to use a 5" pull on mine. It weighs a ton, but I don't know what, exactly, it is made of.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:56PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Zinc isn't strong enough over time. And you need a larger pull for appliance pulls. If you're doing concealed appliances, overall, your pulls need to match the quality level expectations of that upscale look that you have chosen. And yes, that may mean you spend a lot more on pulls than you originally budgeted for.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:28PM
Holly- Kay

Thanks holly springs. One of my criteria was that my hardware had to be brass. It was more expensive but I knew brass would wear well. I did get the appliance pull for the dw. I knew it was the right decision though an expensive one.

I wonder why some kitchen designers don't stress that material quality is important if you have a custom dw and/or fridge? Mine didn't mention it at all but I have a manufacturing background.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:32PM
judeNY

I have 5+" Top Knobs drawer pulls (not brass) on my cabinets and on my Fisher Paykel dishdrawers and 27" subzero fridge with 2 freezer drawers. They were installed in 2005 and I have had no problems.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:48PM
nycbluedevil

I used a 4" drawer pull on my panelled dishwasher. The pull is made by Forms and Surfaces. The material is polished stainless. It works perfectly fine.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:59PM
marioncohen1

Anyone else?? I am looking for polished chrome pulls from Top Knobs and when I finally found one I liked they do not make an appliance pull. I was hoping their 6 inch pull would do the job even though its not brass.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:02PM
marioncohen1

Thanks all. I may go for it. I am really the only one that loads and unloads the dishwasher so I think it will be fine.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
Help withwith quartzite countertops.
Hi all, I'm hoping I can find some information about...
MominMiami
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Do all my finishes have to match
My kitchen cabinet hardware is brushed nickel, but...
cheriberi2001
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™