Tall cabinets and toekick

annkh_ndMay 28, 2013

I was looking at my kitchen plans (for the 3000th time), and saw something for the first time. I will have a 6-foot-wide wall of 8-foot tall cabinets, containing file drawers, a concealed command center, and pantry shelves. These cabinets are not adjacent to the rest of the kitchen cabinets.

Do I need a toe-kick? Since it isn't a "stand here and work" spot, it seems to be to be superfluous, and I would much rather have that 4" as storage space. There is a vaulted ceiling above.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
localeater

You absolutely do not need a toe kick. Mix it up.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 8:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elofgren

We have a setup like that, and there's no toe kick. There's a baseboard-type thing. It looks nice and different. When our house was built the kitchen would have been furnished with either pieces with legs, or with base moldings.

However, there is more than one reason to have a toe kick space, besides "room for your toes." Other things to think about include, what's going to happen to your flooring there (will it continue under the cabinet? What will cover the joint?) and whether you're going to ruin the "baseboard" by kicking it or mopping up against it. Often original kitchen furniture is damaged along the bottom, partially from water exposure.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Found a granite Pergaminho, is this the same as Delicatus or Alaskan ?
I've been searching for a durable island countertop...
happyallison
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
Anyone bought a sink from www.seamlesssinks.com?
http://www.seamlesssink.com/ledge-galley-sinks.html much...
Dietitian
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™