Off angle view of quartz countertops

vishgMay 1, 2013

Hi,

In sunlight, the quartz samples I have lose their luster and show mostly a "white lattice" at certain angles. Has anyone else observed this? I am assuming the phenomena would carry into fully formed quartz countertop too.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

It's normal and is due to the non reflective areas in the surface that consist of the resin matrix. A "glossmeter", which electronically measures the reflectivity of a surface regularly gives a reading in the 50's for any quartz and in the 70's or 80's for a polished natural stone.

A square of a black quartz surface placed next to a black granite will be very noticably less reflective due to the resin in the surface.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 9:40PM
vishg

That is good info to have. If I get quartz I can at least get into it with proper expectations. Thanks. Since you know about these things, may I ask if quartz is indeed as much stronger and non-porous than granite, and maintenance free, as it is touted to be? Or is the reality different?

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 10:29AM
oldryder

vishg;

quartz surface is indeed "stronger" than most natural stone. However, the term "stronger" is misleading since the countertop user cares little about the mechanical strength of the material; he is much more interested in the hardness and most natural stones are harder or much harder than quartz surface materials.

quartz is non-porous so it is more stain resistant than many natural stones. However, the resin in the quartz makes it vunerable to heat damage.

In reality, staining in granite and scorching in quartz are both rare events and should only be a minor consideration for most users.

I always tell my customers to pick the material that has the look they want. SOme natural stones like marble and limestone warrant extra consideration as their durability and stain resistance is substantially inferior to granite and quatrz surface.

hope this was helpful

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Countertop Geology, Part Six. Let's talk about rocks some more!
This is round six of the Great Rocks Thread! Please...
karin_mt
Kitchen quote for RTA
I am shopping around for a redesigned kitchen. Below...
vonecu4
Neolith polished Classtone?
Has anyone seen any of the new neolith classtone surfaces...
nels1678
Just got my kitchen remodel photographed by a prof. What a difference!
For some reason a couple of the pics double posted....
Tamara Hadji
what's an acceptable level of "off"
cabinets are going in need to know what's ok with regard...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Alpa Dark Bronze Mini Pendant with Granite Shade
$248.50 | Bellacor
Juno Under Cabinet Lighting Pro-Series 14 in. LED Brushed Bronze Under Cabinet
Home Depot
Juno Under Cabinet Lighting 9 in. Under Cabinet Economy Xenon White ULX109-WH
$37.97 | Home Depot
Silver Alligator Metal-Handle Tray
$17.99 | zulily
Avona Semi-Recessed Sink
Signature Hardware