Cutting board over kitchen sink useful?

meek95May 17, 2013

I was expecting a flush mounted undercounter sink but ended up with a small positive reveal. I was thinking of having a cutting board made to fit over the sink but am wondering if there is a minimum amount of sink lip it needs to fit onto and whether it is actually useful to use a cutting board this way in the first place.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
badgergal

I love my cutting board that fits over my sink. My sink is a Blanco Silgranite double bowl 1-3/4. I have a garbage disposal in the 3/4 bowl. I can cut on the cutting board and just sweep the waste into the garbage disposal. If I chop things that need to go into bowls or containers, I can put the container below the board and push the items right in it. I don't have to lift up the board above the container or pick up the chopped items with my hands.
My sink is flush with edge of the counter top, so I guess that no reveal. I bought the cutting board that was made for the model of sink that I have. I didn't really pay attention to whether it was for a positive or negative reveal. It fits quite nicely.
I did order it on line and the price varied considerably from on site to the next. I am confident I got the best price out there but I thought it was still a bit "spendy". I am glad that I purchased it though. I use it all the time. Here is how it looks.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:13PM
meek95

Thanks for posting the pic, I guess I don't need to have it fit into the sink at all. I happen to have the same type of low divide sink but in stainless, I am anxious to use it, only a few days away!

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 8:28PM
35ftcabo

I've never used a cutting board over the sink because I've never had a disposal (unfortunately). So I'd have no reason to push anything into the sink. But I'd get one in a red hot minute if I had a GD.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 9:06PM
michoumonster

i had asked the granite fabricator to do a 1/8" reveal so i could have this option. i just had my contractor cut a cutting board down to fit inside my sink. i just bought a wood cutting board that was larger than my sink and my contractor trimmed it without any issue. the cutting board fits fine inside. i cannot wait to use it. i look forward to cutting, then pushing things into the sink. or i think it is useful to cut things over the sink that might be juicy or drippy to minimize cleaning of the counters.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 2:13AM
sleevendog

It is a nice option to have. I do like to occasionally overhang the sink by 5-6 inches with a
bowl in the sink to slide chopping into. Or my compost bucket. I put those rubber dot feet under my cutting boards to keep them a bit off the counter and keep from sliding...spaced apart just at the width of my sink to keep it in place.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 7:10AM
waterdamage

We bought one and I've never used it! Keep meaning to get it out sometime. I like the idea though. Part of the issue is that currently we keep our knives a long way from the sink (least accessible to our kids). When everyone is older I may move the knives and then the sink cutting board will be more efficient.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:24PM
strayerdarb

Badgergal,

Is your cutting board fitting into the sink or just overlapping it? How do you keep it from sliding around?

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 2:38PM
strayerdarb

Badgergal,

Is your cutting board fitting into the sink or just overlapping it? How do you keep it from sliding around?

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 2:42PM
brickeyee

You can always attach a couple of strips of wood to the bottom with some brass screws flat head countersunk screws so the board cannot slide around when straddling the sink (like having one end slip into the sink and dump all your cuttings).

I have used strips cut from the same board about 1/2 inch wide and about 1/4 inch thick.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 2:56PM
badgergal

strayer, the cutting board is made to fit inside the granite edge and overlap it. It does not slide around because it fits the exact shape of the sink cutout. It also has little rubber feet on it if you want to use it on the counter.
Here is a side view of it:

And this is how it looks on the bottom:

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 4:41PM
sparkier73

The other reason to do this is to extend your counter space. We don't have a GD, but I intend to get a large cutting board to use over the sink rather than take up precious counter real estate.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:13PM
Elraes Miller

I had one and dumb me kept turning on the water or someone would do it for me. Of course the faucet was over the cutting board and messed up more than any successes. So, be sure your faucet is out of the way using an over the sink cutting board.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:49AM
ellabee_2016

Another use for fitted cutting boards or counter material is to maximize the flat surface available when the sink isn't necessary (e.g., in a prep sink in an island when entertaining). For this application, it's most unobtrusive if the material is flush with the counter.

I've seen pics of this on this forum, but don't have any to hand to link right now.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Sealing Slate ... Color Change Typical?
We are considering a 4" square silver-gray tumbled...
Jodi_SoCal
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
Faucet Finish
So, I've done many searches, and read dozens of GW...
Carrie B
Backsplash 'Rules'/Design Principals for Cohesion
Hi all! Still no reveal and yes still searching for...
autumn.4
Kraftmaid vs RTA (barkers, Scherrs)
My venture to update my kitchen keeps taking a back...
bichonlover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™