Backsplash Marble subway tile question

sewnice50May 17, 2012

I saw a polished "statuary" marble subway tile and I fell in love with it, but my DH is not careful about tomato sauce and grease when he is cooking. (He is a really good cook.) I have been told you can seal it, but will I be sorry I did this white marble? I could also choose polished carrera.

My second choice is just plain ceramic white subway with white grout. Again tomato sauce on white grout will I be sorry?

My third choice is frosted glass. Does it clean up well or does it show grease stains?

If anyone has any experience with these types of tile. I would love the feedback.

Thanks, Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dseng

Epoxy grout would address your fears from that quarter - it won't stain.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:51AM
texaspenny

I have the same question as the OP. We are planning to have soapstone countertops, and it seems like the prettiest backsplashes are always the Carrera marble ones. But, if you splash grease or tomato sauce on it and let it sit overnight, will it stain? The one reply here only addresses the grout question. Any additional info from the marble backsplash people would be great.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 11:00PM
2LittleFishies

Etching does happen on backsplashes especially around the cooking area, however most say it's barely noticeable to other people. Honed would probably work better than polished as far as the etches being noticeable. Polished makes the etches stand out in the right light.

Staining is certainly possible but if the marble is sealed well most don't really have that issue from what I understand...

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 11:25PM
fivefootzero

I have soapstone with carrera marble backsplash. It was put in a year ago. No issues with staining or anything. We sealed with the 5-1-1 sealer. Here's a pic.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:43AM
sewnice50

fivefootzero,
Your counters and backspash are gorgeous. Did you use the epoxy grout dseng mentioned?
Thank you for posting the pictures.
sewnice50

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:51AM
sewnice50

fivefootzero,
Your counters and backspash are gorgeous. Did you use the epoxy grout dseng mentioned?
Thank you for posting the pictures.
sewnice50

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:52AM
francoise47

Hi Sewnice:

I know several people with marble backsplashes.
The only ones with trouble from staining
are the ones with pro-style ranges that vent
on the top/back of the range,
emitting heat and steam directly onto the marble backsplash.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:07AM
sewnice50

Francoise47,
I have an old Thermador dual fuel that vents at the back top of the range. I will have to explore this further.
It's so good to have your input. I never would have guessed that to be an issue.

Thanks,
Sewnice50

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:33AM
francoise47

My friend with the problem with staining has an all gas range, not a dual fuel.
So perhaps yours will be OK?

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:37AM
fivefootzero

FWIW, I have an all gas range. It has a vent in the center on the top towards the rear. No issues (could also be because I have that tray there...but the tray doesn't have any staining or residue on it either).

And no, I didn't use epoxy grout.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 2:32PM
sewnice50

fivefootzero,

The oven we have does emit what looks like steam when we cook, the oven is electric, the burners are gas.

I think my main concern would be my husband's French frying everything except pasta. How does one successfully clean grease off of polished carrera marble? I don't want to become a nag if the carrera is going to be hard to keep looking beautiful.

I want the look of your kitchen, it's so beautiful.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 3:44PM
fivefootzero

Sewnice: You might be able to get the best of both worlds if you maybe find complimenting tiles...in different materials. Maybe for the majority of the kitchen do the carrera and then for behind the stove you could use a different but complimentary stone that wouldn't have the staining properties that marble does. I know they make soapstone subways at M. Tex (I saw them when I was there). You could maybe put those behind the stove, with the marble everywhere else. Or, you can put a tray behind the stove like I did. I didn't put it there for that reason, but I think if I ever did splash something like tomato sauce or the like, it would be better protected than with nothing there. But again, I did seal mine...which should provide some level of protection.

Thanks so much for the compliment...I walk in to our kitchen and smile...I never thought with all the different components involved that it could turn out exactly how I pictured.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 7:58AM
blackchamois

FiveFootZero - Where did you get your tiles? Just lovely!

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 7:31PM
karyn123

I have a wolf gas range that sits up against white carerra marble and it has burned-where the oven vents. interested in any information as to why this happens and how to fix!! saw this post from above:

Posted by francoise47 (My Page) on Mon, May 21, 12 at 11:07
Hi Sewnice:
I know several people with marble backsplashes.
The only ones with trouble from staining
are the ones with pro-style ranges that vent
on the top/back of the range,
emitting heat and steam directly onto the marble backsplash.

please help!

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
mixing cabinetry finishes in a small smace
I am remodeling for the first time my more8x9x10 more-or...
earlygirl44
Support for vintage double drainboard sink?
I'm planning my kitchen remodel now and have a question...
mccb1
quartz countertops
I'm so confused. I keep reading that quartz countertops...
judydel
Feedback on revised kitchen layout
Hello again! After receiving some great feedback for...
kevinhoene
Sponsored Products
Spring Air Back Supporter Four Seasons Box Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set
Hayneedle
Olive Oil with 18-kt. Gold Flakes - N/A
$60.00 | Horchow
AICO Furniture - After Eight Light Gold Contemporary Flare Arm...
Great Furniture Deal
SomerTile 11.25x12-in Posh Penny Round Blueberry Porcelain Mosaic Tile (Pack of
Overstock.com
Nanti Drum Pendant by Minka-Lavery
$229.90 | Lumens
Vinyl Fire Pit Table Cover
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
2" Solid Bronze Wall Tile with Botanical Design - Burnished Bronze
Signature Hardware
Dayton Birch Sable Dark Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™