Contrasting Hardwood

P_BennettMay 6, 2013

We had a horrible vinyl floor in our kitchen until we just replaced it with 3 1/4" white oak hardwood floors. It looks great. The problem is that our living room, next to the kitchen had 20 year old white oak hardwood in 2 1/4" planks that was impossible to replicate (nor did we want to). So we eventually decided to leave them differently. The color can always be refinished, but any initial thoughts on the contrasting of the hardwood? Looking for honest opinions. Horrible, ok, no big deal.

I can take honest critisism knowing that it still looks 10x better than the crap we had in there before.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookncarpenter

I don't mind the contrast so much, although the only thing I may have considered would have been to run the direction of new floor perpendicular to the old, so a definite room transition is obvious.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 6:54PM
Holly- Kay

Honestly it doesn't look bad. How wide is the opening? If the transition bothers you could you place a rug there?

Your other oak floor that is older still looks to be in great shape, and your new floor is very pretty.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:49PM
live_wire_oak

The difference in color and size isn't bad.

The transition strip needs to go though. You want the transition to be the same height if possible. Just a simple crosswise board would be enough. If there is a small height difference, then you use a crosswise flat piece that is sawn on a low angle to make the transition as broad as possible.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:58PM
Holly- Kay

Yes! Live wire hit the nail on the head!

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:19PM
Tricia21

Totally fine...

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 7:05AM
P_Bennett

Thanks, everyone! The transition strip actually is the same height, there's no bump at all.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:14AM
lazy_gardens

The only thing I would do is make the transition the width of the entire doorway, not that skinny thing with half the door left in the old wood.

You can cut out the old stuff to make the area wider and insert a flat transition: one plank, or several, running across the opening.

that way it looks like you planned the transition, didn;t just cover up a gap.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:23AM
Linelle

I think it looks fine.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:54AM
threegraces

We have the same. The color of your new floor will change some over time and will match your old flooring better. I think it looks fine. I didn't even notice until our GC pointed it out that we had 2 different types of flooring (maple and oak) on our first floor - after 4 years of living there. So yeah, it's not something people notice.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:09PM
sombreuil_mongrel

The flooring on the left (old) looks like ash, the new looks like red oak. But what do I know?
Casey

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:34PM
cookncarpenter

I like lazygardens idea of widening the transition piece to match the width of the wall/door. It then looks more intentional, and provides a bit more separation of the two widths.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:45PM
P_Bennett

@lazygardens - that's a good idea.

Thanks!

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 1:29PM
dljmth

I don't think it looks bad at all. I do like the idea of putting in a wider transition strip. We have the same issue with our house and I stressed and stressed over it as the transition is in a wide open space. Honestly, no one notices it at all. You eye is drawn higher to the kitchen and counters.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
please share feedback merillat classic, eastman, armstrong
I've been looking for moderately priced cabinets. Please...
abekker
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™